NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the dock about 8:15 this morning and headed out to a spot about 13 miles out of the inlet. The seas were flat and the wind was calm - awesome weather, and on a Saturday to boot:D.

Today I decided to exclusively use Shimano Butterfly jigs on a Shimano Trevala rod with the Avet reel. Man those jigs are awesome. I boated a 9 pound grouper, two 18 inch flounders and a hand full of nice sized black sea bass and one white grunt (go figure). Threw back quite a few smaller ones including some smallish but legal BSB.

Nice day & now some good eating!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice catch! Looking good all next week for some fine fishing!

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Today I decided to exclusively use Shimano Butterfly jigs on a Shimano Trevala rod with the Avet reel. Man those jigs are awesome. I boated a 9 pound grouper, two 18 inch flounders and a hand full of nice sized black sea bass and one white grunt (go figure). Threw back quite a few smaller ones including some smallish but legal BSB.
Mike - how big were the butterfly jigs and what were the smallest fish that tried to eat them?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the 4 ounce flat-side butterfly jig (chartreuse/white glow) which is on the smaller side of the jigs but that was because we were in 70 feet of water. I use the bigger sizes in deeper water or when vertical angle jigging (versus straight up and down).

Almost all the fish were keeper size, the smallest was an 11 1/2 inch black sea bass. That's one of the beauties of the jig, you don't waste bait and get a lot of small fish. But the big ones EAT it up! The fluttering action seems to drive them nuts. I would occasionally get a bump and no hook-up, probably from an undersize fish but beats having to pull up and re-bait the hooks.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you rig them like this with no bottom hook?
Exactly, for the regular jig shown. For the flat-sided jig I do it slightly different (I use two different length of flying leads on the hooks).

Funny you should ask all these questions as I promised Randy a few days ago that I would write up a column on using and rigging the butterfly jigs, so that will be coming soon with more info. I sent Randy some specs last night so I'll post them here - but this is just for one type set-up - there are many variations depending on what you are targeting and how deep.

Shimano Trevala Rod – Conventional or Spinning
Power = heavy, action = medium fast, Braid rating 65-200lb.
Conventional model TVC60H or TFC58H
Spinning model TFS58H

Jigs (for grouper)
Flat side Jig - 4oz (112 gram) and/or 6oz (168 gram) in chartreuse/white glow and whatever other colors interest you
Regular Jig – 4 3/4Oz (135 gram) and/or 5 5/8Oz (160 gram) in chartreuse/white and whatever other colors interest you

Hardware
Owner Hyper wire Split rings - #7 or #8
Owner Solid Rings – 6.5 or 7.5
Owner Dancing Stinger hooks – 5/0 medium and short

Reel should be high speed (6.0 to 1 or higher) & have high line capacity (needed more for other species than grouper)
For comparison - Shimano Recommends the Sustain & Stella in spinning gear and the Torsa or Trinidad in conventional reels.
Load with either 65 or 80lb. braided line (I like the Power Pro). Then finish with an 80lb wind-on fluorocarbon leader (I use the ones sold by Shimano).

I’d also recommend picking up a pack of the Butterfly cocoons for wrapping the butterfly jigs for when they are stored on the rod.

Have fun! (The tackle monkey cometh).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.