NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I am going to try some jugging this coming weekend and was wondering how the best way to go about catching some shad with a throw net. I have thrown one at the coast a few times for minnows and mullet but not in fresh water. I would like to try Falls Lake or the Wake Forest Water Reservoir. Do I just go out and start throwing it around the bank or over next to the spill way? What do I do???? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
My friends and I jugged lake gaston this weekend. Threw out 3 sets of 25 jugs and ended up with 27 good sized blue catfish (35 pounds being the biggest). Jugs were set in a channel about 10-20 yards apart, we used big chunks of cutbait, bream and sunfish mostly. As far as location, I would go with Falls lake for sure, i am sure wake forest reservoir has catfish but your odds are a lot better at falls. Good luck and post if you have any luck.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Striper fishermen at Jordan always used to throw around bridges, just dont let your net get stuck in the rocks.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
If you have a fish finder then it is simple. Move around until you find a big school.

Have a heavy fast sinking net. If you don't have a fish finder then I would just move around and look for shad flicking and then throw on them. I always found them schooled up the thickest in the backs of the coves in winter, not too sure where they will be now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Early in the morning(4:30am-5:00am) they should be all over the surface. Coves and bridges are good to start at. Grass lines will help hold them too. This time of year the schools spend a lot of time near the surface.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I like windy days...they will be pushed into coves.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If your gonna cast at the lake- I'd suggest going at dark or just before. Night can be great especially if you have a light in the water. The ends of boat ramps can also be good after dark.

·
Registered
212 Posts
get there right at day break right before dark you will see them on top of the water....cut bream,chicken with garlic, even deer meat with garlic, if you deer hunt all the scrap meat cut up and freeze..dont know bout channels but it works on the blues.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts