NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today three of us old salts were fishing under one of bridge locations when a big run of specks came through. They were moving fast and made a turn down the ditch running along hwy 12 busting bait on top water like bass. We took off on foot running down the shoulder of the road catching trout.After chasing them for quite a distance, I had the bright idea that two of us should get in the back of one of our pickup trucks and fish from the truck bed while the other drives. But being the ornery critters that old trout fishermen seem to be, we couldn't agree on who was going to drive the truck, so we just watched as they disappeared. About then I got real cute and caught a 27 in puppy drum. Now for the worst part, the Cedar Island ferry traffic( about 50 cars ) came by while we were lugging fish up the highway. You can bet that there will be fishermen shoulder to shoulder along Hwy 12 by this weekend as the word spreads. Ain't fishing fun!:D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I gotta agree, that would be one of those priceless sights that I'd have been happy to pay to witness. I got tickled thinking about what those folks coming off the ferry were saying when they saw those trout that they could have been catching if they had have stayed over on the mainland. Still I'm sure most of those folks coming off the ferry had a great time and that was just the sight to cap an episode of memorable moments. AL

·
Registered
523 Posts
I thought designated drivers were needed after the fishing not during...:D I'd pay to see pick-up truck ditch trolling!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Soon enough there could be ditch trolling charters and the captain would be singin "We earned our riches, catching fish in little ditches, rolling down highway 12."
Andy

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEP!! I need to order one outrigger or maybe two of different lengths for the passenger side of my pickup. You can only troll going west. Too many telephone poles in the way going east.:D And just think, I have worked all my life.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
How about one of those side planers. Not only side planers but how about a lure designed just for that. A friend of mine designed a pair so that one runs left and one runs to the right. Personaly I'd go with the outriggers or planer boards until someone proves to me that fish will hit a side running plug. I like him but I have a hard time BELIEVING HIM! AL

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Funny Image

I can just see you guys wives driving the truck because you had to fish. Or charging other people guide fees for sitting in the back of the truck while fishing.:D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I think I have it figured out....a riding mower with a 20' outrigger on one side and a pretty good counter weight on the other side. No arguments as to who fishes and who drives. When you get a fish on shut her down and get off and do your thing. That saves arguments and for us more "expierenced" people... joint pain associated with jumping out the back of a pickup.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lets see! The location is part of the Cedar Island Wildlife Refuge. They will probably require a duck stamp because of a certain preacher's (who sometimes fishes with me) ability to catch loons while fishing.:eek: Then I have to get permits from the U.S. Dept of Interior-- U.S. Park Services-- U.S Wildlife-- NC Wildlife--NC Dept Of Transportation--U.S Coast Guard--NC Marine Fisheries--etc,etc. It will get in The Carteret Times, then PETA will be down here harassing me for dragging poor fishies across hard pavement. :mad:

Forget it! I will just get my Good Wife to drive truck while I fish by myself and keep it quite in the future.:D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
fojoloy said:
Forget it! I will just get my Good Wife to drive truck while I fish by myself and keep it quite in the future.:D
Now there's a plan.....

Let's see, from all the previous posts:

Good Wife = bait catcher, baiter, fish spotter, fish cleaner, boat cleaner, boat driver, truck driver, (maybe truck cleaner too?) and fish cook. Oh yeah - she knows how to fish too.....

Gotta send my wife up to your house for a while, Forrest :D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah! Good Woman! She has also been known to tote a truck battery while I flounder gig.:D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
wow

Thinking you and your wife should open up a school for how a fisherman's wife is supposed to act. I'd sign my wife up for it. Then I'd sleep the rest of the month in the truck.:D

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Yes I would

It would be sitting at mom's house across town with me in it. :D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I swear this is the truth. I saw a new beige pickup truck that had run off the road into the canal near Davis,NC while driving home from the coast this past Tue. afternoon. I didn't see any outriggers, but I am wondering if one of the members of this site owned that truck.:confused: It was sunk up past the windows. They must have hung the big one.

Later, Forrest

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.