NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
What is the best bait to use when fishing for cats at Falls Lake?
Heh heh -- I used a beetlespin when I caught the one below, but that's probably not typical...

Got 'im the first time I took the yak out armed! That would've been right around a year ago now... didn't catch much of anything again until September, if I recall... not counting all those doggone sticks...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
No, never made it up there. I've heard good things in general, though... Planning on watching your inquiry...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Doughbaits work year round as do Livers, nightcrawlers. If you can net live shad/shiners thats the best bait, even after they die. I like to use bream myself. I catch the tiny ones and rig em live...or cut them in chunks. Depends on whether your after the hawgs or just good frying size. Please release the hawgs, they taste bad and it is a real loss because cats can grow very old and make many anglers happy! :)

Reactions: kayakingglenn

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Bluecat and channels love fresh white shrimp. Flatheads/Mudcat like it stinky!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just FYI dont use a net to catch bait in Falls I had a Ranger stop me for doing that (I thought I was gonna get cited for it). Just buy large minnows instead at Falls. I have had luck with large minnows, and night crawlers.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Y'know, I'd been meaning to look up the regs for trapping bait... One of these days I'll have to flip through the book...

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Just FYI dont use a net to catch bait in Falls I had a Ranger stop me for doing that (I thought I was gonna get cited for it).
I'm pretty confused about bait catching regulations. I hear the striper fishermen talk about netting shad in inland lakes (ie. Jordan). What would be different about Falls? Are the rules lake-specific?

I thought there were also rules about using bluegills/bream/brim/sunfish/etc... as bait. Not sure if it has more to do with how you obtain them or how you use them (or just another wive's tale).

Would be valuable for somebody to find the rules and post a link.

(reminder to self - find the rules and post them when I've got more time...)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think If you catch them on hook and line your ok single hook or Sabiki rig, you should be OK, I have read the regs and cant find where it said you cant use a net to catch bait, so I think it varies from lake to lake. I will research this more right now and post the results. I always thought it was OK to net non game fish(shad ect.).

·
Registered
181 Posts
http://www.ncwildlife.com/pg02_Regs/Regs_Digest.pdf

ok scroll down to page 29 the section on Taking of Non game fish for bait. It is clear you can use a cast net, so it looks like this is a lake specific requirement. Although the ranger said "Sir are you aware you cant use a net in a state park?", I will call the Parks office and get clarification on this.

·
Registered
181 Posts
OK Just got off the phone with the ranger station. Here is the deal Beaver Dam area does not allow ANY use of cast nets ect to catch bait. Any shoreline that is governed by the state park does not allow the use of nets, but catching bait from shorelines contoled by the WRC or from a boat is allowed. The Ranger advised me that the reason they have been enforcing this lately was that there have been people using cast nets to take game fish, and they are trying to stop that. She also took my info and asked if she could bring this up at the next staff meeting. So I hope this clears this up, I just dont know what is Park land and what is WRC land.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Skimmed through it but gotta be honest with you - The more I read, the less I understand.
  • Still can't tell if a cast net is a special device requiring a non-commercial special device license.
  • There are some specific seasons listed for Wake county, but in a quick skim I couldn't tell if those are exclusive (ie the only thing allowed among all special device categories are the ones listed at the times listed) or specific (ie can only do these categories of devices during these seasons, everything not listed is OK).
  • State parks are mentioned in the trout section, but I certainly didn't see anything that clarified what you can do in the state park in regards to non-game fish.
  • Sunfish are definitely classified as an inland game fish. I saw nothing that (edit) [-]talked about[/-] prohibited using one game fish as bait to catch another, only that all inland game fish must be caught on hook & line.
I pity the guys that have to enforce that birds nest. Can imagine that they don't always get it right either. Looks like we need a lawyer or a politician in the boat when we go...:eek:

(sincerest apologies to lawyers and politicians:))

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I know for a fact the NCWRC allows the use of cast nets for collecting bait.

That's funny that NC state parks do not. :confused:

GAME FISH may be used as bait.

They either have to be caught on hook and line gear from public inland waters, come from a private impoundment or hatchery or be bought at a bait or fish store.

For example it's legal to obtain some fingerling rainbow trout from a trout hatchery and use them for striper bait.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
OK Just got off the phone with the ranger station. Here is the deal Beaver Dam area does not allow ANY use of cast nets ect to catch bait. Any shoreline that is governed by the state park does not allow the use of nets, but catching bait from shorelines contoled by the WRC or from a boat is allowed. The Ranger advised me that the reason they have been enforcing this lately was that there have been people using cast nets to take game fish, and they are trying to stop that. She also took my info and asked if she could bring this up at the next staff meeting. So I hope this clears this up, I just dont know what is Park land and what is WRC land.
Thanks for all the great info on the nets.

Regarding park land versus WRC land, WRC (Widlife Resource Commission) is the agency that enforces the law on inland waters and on coastal land (DMF does the salty water). They don't really own any land (well they do maintain a few impoundments). State Parks are usually well marked as such and are relatively few in number compared to the amount of public and private lands that have fishable water. State park's laws are enforced by Park Rangers. WRC has jurisdiction on the water in state parks too I think.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
(looks like I may have been composing when bankandsurf posted about his call to the park office - hadn't seen that one)

I thought the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers owned most, if not all, of the shoreline around Falls lake. So we've got 1 federal and 2 state governmental agencies involved (at least).

I just hope my lawyer can paddle his own weight!:)

(wouldn't hurt if he could untangle backlashes too, but at $400 an hour I might have to live with them)

·
Registered
181 Posts
The US core does own it but they do not enforce any of the laws the Rangers do that. But I was also told that the Rangers do not enforce the law on the main body of Falls because of the problem with who's shore is who apparently WRC has some shore and NC Parks has the other although on shore lenght(Hippie Beach) no one has jurisdiction and the drug addicts know this so they go there to party.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was out for a boat ride on Falls on Wednesday night and I saw a few guys throwing nets in the water off of some weird bridge that had a big net in the water seperating one side of the bridge from the other. It was near highway 50 and to the right of that big ramp. Legal or not, I have no clue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.