NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ND and myself made a trip to one of my favorite rivers on Friday the 13TH!!!. First we had to stop and buy goldfish at 2.75 a pop but these were Jumbos. We made it to the spot and the river was a little higher than normal. After a little thought I went back to the car and got my life vest. ND already had his. We had to pretty much swim a channel with a backpack on, rods and bait buckets. Then wade though waist deep fast water. This was all to get out in the middle where the fish are. Boy was that a workout. This spot is not for the weak and is very dangerous hence the life jackets.
Anyway action was very good with slightly rising water and a full moon. ND caught several Blues before I even had my first hit but we were after Flatheads. Sometime later I heard ND yelling and look over and he is fighting a big one. Then the line went slack. Crap, cut on a rock. A short while later I get a good hit and I got her head up and kept it up. Brief hard battle and I released her back to fight again. An awesome day on an awesome river with a good friend. Cant beat that.

Outfit I used- Shimano 6500 Baitrunner on 7' Ugly Stik Tiger Rod , Bait Goldfish, Terminal tackle - 2 oz bank sinker swivel then 6 inch leader using an 8 or 9/0 Hook.

Water Sky Plant Tree Smile
Water Plant Water resources Musical instrument Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Sky Cloud Water Plant Outdoor recreation
Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Gas Signage

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That was a great trip for a lot of reasons. I think once we get it dialed in it's going to be insane. Really looking forward to getting back there. Can't beat catching cats mid afternoon wading the river. I have to wonder though how big that one I lost was and how it might have been had we not run out of bait at dark. Next time............

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice job! Y'all give me some hope of there at least being some good fish in the area. I'm going to make my first flathead trip on the Neuse in my yak in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll have a few pics to share myself. Still looking for my first 15+. Good luck on the trip today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.