NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ND and myself made a trip to one of my favorite rivers on Friday the 13TH!!!. First we had to stop and buy goldfish at 2.75 a pop but these were Jumbos. We made it to the spot and the river was a little higher than normal. After a little thought I went back to the car and got my life vest. ND already had his. We had to pretty much swim a channel with a backpack on, rods and bait buckets. Then wade though waist deep fast water. This was all to get out in the middle where the fish are. Boy was that a workout. This spot is not for the weak and is very dangerous hence the life jackets.
Anyway action was very good with slightly rising water and a full moon. ND caught several Blues before I even had my first hit but we were after Flatheads. Sometime later I heard ND yelling and look over and he is fighting a big one. Then the line went slack. Crap, cut on a rock. A short while later I get a good hit and I got her head up and kept it up. Brief hard battle and I released her back to fight again. An awesome day on an awesome river with a good friend. Cant beat that.

Outfit I used- Shimano 6500 Baitrunner on 7' Ugly Stik Tiger Rod , Bait Goldfish, Terminal tackle - 2 oz bank sinker swivel then 6 inch leader using an 8 or 9/0 Hook.

Water Sky Plant Tree Smile
Water Plant Water resources Musical instrument Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Sky Cloud Water Plant Outdoor recreation
Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Gas Signage

· Registered
2,364 Posts
That was a great trip for a lot of reasons. I think once we get it dialed in it's going to be insane. Really looking forward to getting back there. Can't beat catching cats mid afternoon wading the river. I have to wonder though how big that one I lost was and how it might have been had we not run out of bait at dark. Next time............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.