NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in your opinions, what is the best bait to use for catfish? ive heard it was chickenliver, but there is also the kind that comes in bags.also, what kind of rig is used? float, carolina rig? mostly talking about going to the quarries and catfish lake.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
good old 2 hook bottom rig will be fine for eating size fish. Chicken livers, hotdogs, cheese cubes, nightcrawlers,bagged baits all have their times. I've done my best on eating size with fresh shrimp and always cut bait like bream,shiners, shad, also live or dead minnows.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I dunno the lakes you're fishing, but I would use whatever the primary forage in the lake is. Shad, bluegill, perch, etc etc....try some cut and some live to see what the fish want. Sometimes they prefer one over the other. Carolina rig is good for live bait...or if using cut bait, try a santee rig. It will keep the bait off the bottom just a little bit, making it easier for the fish to find it. Good luck and let us know how ya do

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
didnt think about the Santee or "dropper" rig, good idea as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For channel cats my favorite bait is a preprepared bait that I can't remember the name of, I'll find it sooner or later. My close second is hotdogs because they are easy to deal with and they catch fish. Chicken liver is good but it is hard to keep on the hook and it is extremely messy.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
different species of cats prefer different baits; smaller fish like channels i love chicken livers maybe nightcrawlers; flatheads: live bluegill; blue cats: cut bluegill and stink baits will work fine; these have worked fine for me

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned shrimp. I sprinkle raw shrimp with garlic salt and leave it in the sun a day before I go out. I typically use a Santee or Carolina rig with a circle hook (not sure of the size but I know it when I see it). I make sure to bring an ultra light so I can catch some live bait as well. I'm doing all of these tomorrow!

·
Registered
408 Posts
That sounds like some nasty stuff there. Stick with all natural baits you'll be better off. I couldn't even think about using anything like that. Looks like the cats are starting to move into thier falltime locations. Caught acouple in the 20's over the weekend. I did mark some really bigfish. So I know I was in the right area. About another week and they should really start bitting good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts