NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Looking for your best catfish chum idea's. Cornmeal balls, frozen ground bait fish etc.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Large chunk dog food works great. They hear the sound of the food hitting the water if you throw it in by the handfull, and it creates a feeding freenzie.
But I belive that baiting fish is illegal. I could be wrong but it was in missouri.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob, I like the Avatar.
I hope dog food is not illegal, I have used it a long time on Lake Norman for cats.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I use it in my moms pond. but when they were small that what they were fed. if you go the same place at the same time. day in and day out and drop some food. they'll come to expect it.. and when you go on night throw it in... and catch em

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It depends on where you are fishing. In the winter, blues feed heavily on mussels then when a real cold snap creates a fish kill they switch to the dying shad/or herring. In warmer weather they feed on a variety of stuff.
On the Savannah river system we have a lot of blueback herring. There are places where you can net all you can stand at night under lights. For chum and making up prepared baits, probably the best procedure is to make a brine in a big cooler and the next morning (after you have slept in for a few hours...say about 10am) get up and spread them out on a set of screens set high enough of the ground that the critters don't mess with them. Take them inside a shed or barn at night and cover then with a cloth cover. (Burlap works real good but anything to keep the moisture of the night air off yet let them breathe.) Put them out for three days or so (depends on wind and humidity) and course grind them when they are fully dried out. If any aren't dry spead the whole works back on your screens and let dry for a few more hrs in the sun. Store in lidded plastic buckets in a cool places out of the sun. That will make you a good base for whatever ingredients you want to try to find your own secret mix.
To make the screens you need nylon screen (the type used for screened-in porches) and some pvc water pipe 4 elbows build them to take the short sides out and you can roll them up when you put them away. (not in the house:eek:)You can use long lengths of fishing line to sew up the sides with. I helped a guy that showed me how to do this make some for his buddy who lives in OK. He used a curved needle but he gave me a fairly large straight needle to learn with. Needless to say He really showed me up. I'm pretty sure we used 4 rows of stitching. It's been quite awhile and I would like to ask him a few more questions but he had a bad stroke about 2 weeks ago and unfortunately that is now out of the question. I know his buddy comes every year to get him a load to take back home to make a concoction he sells to local fishermen but they were always tight lipped about what they do when it comes to fishing. I never could find out their "secret recipes."

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Dry cat food in a mesh bag or bag made from nylon screen that allows the water to pass without washing away the bait until it really falls apart in the water works well. I put a 1/2 brick or rocks in the bag so it sinks quick and tie it to a jug with enough line to reach the bottom. Then fish just downstream in the "chumline". Some guys even attach the bag to their bow anchorline so they are below the flow fishing. Mix in a few cans of wet food if you really want to stink add a cup or 2 of 100% corn oil and get a real oil slick going. You can mix it all up in an old cooler and scoop it in the bags and toss a little around. I used to add a touch of garlic as well.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
A lot of people feed the fish around their docks loaf bread from the day old bread store. I've been out on a few of these docks and plenty of them have a resident population of catfish. Most of them have a population of bass that swings thru every once in awhile trying to pick off the bream that are invariably around. You might could take advantage of that some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.