NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard stories of 20-30 pound in the eno but i have never caught a catfish there. I was just wondering if anyone has caught one and if so what bait did you use?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have caught a few small ones here and there on plastic worms. Last summer I tried using cut bait fished on the bottom with a float in a deep hole and all we caught were suckers and bass. I think the lower Eno has a lot of cats though, but I haven't spent much time looking for them. I heard Falls is better catfishing in the summer, but I don't know where exactly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really plan on trying for them reguarly its just fun to sometimes catch something other than the usual roanoke or panfish

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
There are a lot of bass in that river too. Spend a few afternoons out there and dial them in. It's a nice river to wade and hopefully where I will be this weekend to survive the heat. Tight lines!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My favorite thing to do out there is spend an afternoon wading with a fly rod the catches are small but you can catch 15-20 sunfish in about 3 hours.

Tight lines to you to

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
plenty of bullheads and some channels in the upper eno(abover west point) i use cut bait soaked in garlic juice.....never catfished below wp but surely thats where the bigger fish are as you get closer to the lake....those bullheads out of the eno are actually pretty tasty..mack

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't realize that you are allowed to keep fish from the eno. I usually fish few's ford or cole mill though.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Cape Fear River is good too for big cats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a lot of bass in that river too. Spend a few afternoons out there and dial them in. It's a nice river to wade and hopefully where I will be this weekend to survive the heat. Tight lines!
Since it is raining a lot these days, the river is muddy and flowing fast. I have tried to fish the river several times with Rapala original floater and Jig&minnow, but with little luck.:(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya i've gone out twice recently but nothing is biting. I did find a couple of spots at the Few's Ford entrance. If you walk upstream some there is that hole where a lot of people fish and there are some sections that are usually really shallow but with the rise in the water levels they are decently calm areas and I pulled out a couple of brim with a Joe's flys yellow and green trout lure (i'll have to check that brand name i'm going to Dick's today to buy more of them just pm me if you want to know what it is)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yeah this time of the year makes the Eno tough when it gets rainy. Check the USGS real time gauges online for flow data and water levels. You can usually judge how muddy it will be based on depth and streamflow.

Here is the link (for the entire state, by watershed): USGS Real-Time Data for North Carolina_ Streamflow

Right now the Eno near Durham is about 6"-8" high and about 60-70 CFS above normal for this time of the year. Hopefully by Saturday or Sunday it comes down. The ground is pretty saturated, but the Eno typically clears up pretty quick. I have found clarity to be more of a key there than flow.

I have never fished live bait on the Eno, but I would imagine throwing those minnows into big eddies, particularly along cover, could work right now.

Also, crappiefishn, I like to fish clouser minnows in the Eno. Usually fishing a small one for a few hours results in plenty of panfish, roanokes, and a couple LMB. Wooly buggers also work well and I prefer big clousers and sculpin imitators for bigger LMB.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have found a spot where if you throw a white rooster tail you can catch roanokes like crazy, i'm not giving away my secret spot.

For fly fishing i have found that sunfish will tear up a white cork popper. I have actually had them destroy a new cork popper in about 5 hours of fishing.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
yeah a white popping bug doesn't last long out there as far as 20 lb cat fish i have not caught any but i have seen some that came form there between west point and penny's bend back side of the rock quarry hanson on denfield has a deep hole there hanson quarry is full of fish if you know some one but usually is limited to sunday's only but if i am looking for big catfish locally lake michie live bait or livers or little river resivior by big i mean 10+ minimum we have 7 lbrs in the pond in the yard

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've gone to michie and little river but never had any luck...probably just in the wrong spot cause when i was out there I saw a guy coming in with a stringer of 15 5lb cats and one 20lbr in the boat

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
i have caught 10 lbrs on crank baits by the dam i can tell you some of my favorite place's on michie but they vary to the conditions and time of day ther are to coves we jug at night and to watch a 5 gallon jug from cooking oil move faster than you can paddle in a kayak is exciting it happened 2 times

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, i want to fish the dam, i've been told by a lot of people that there is great fishing there

·
Registered
2 Posts
I moved from Long Island to Durham when I was 10 in the mid 70’s. The Eno was at the end of my street. Being able to go from saltwater fishing to freshwater fishing was one of the things I liked most about Durham. The Eno is a jewel. I fished the fugg outta that river! I’ve caught many Bass and Channel Cats over 5lbs on the Eno. People used to accuse me of going in the water to get the fish I caught😂. I’ve caught gar and bowfin too. One time I caught a 7 lbs pike on a red and white daredevil I brought home from Quebec. I’ve moved back to NY, but I’ll still fly down just to fish the Eno in February- May. Right now, the Eno should be on fire! In my mind, I still toy with the idea of buying a house with access to the Eno. But, East is East and West is West, and never the two shall meet. I would say there’s even more variety of fish off old Oxford Highway by the Flat, tons of crappies and yellow perch. Good luck! You’re blessed if you can fish the Eno. Tight lines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts