NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went fishing yesterday after work at a deep hole on a local creek. I catch a variety of fish there but usually largemouth and redbreast. Well after catching a few small largemouth and panfish on a knockoff Ozark trail roostertail, I hooked into something big. It started digging like crazy and the dinky telescoping ultralight rod I keep in my truck was almost bent in two. I thought it was a huge bass, but lo and behold as I brought it to the surface it was a catfish.

This is the first catfish I've caught. Usually I fish for trout and bass. It seems absurd to me to catch a catfish on a roostertail. How unusual is this? Also is this a blue catfish?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm always amazed by some of the lures that catfish hit... a few weeks ago my son was catching cats in a raleigh creek using beadhead nymphs. This one gave him a fun fight on old 5wt.
Water Vertebrate Cap Sleeve Fisherman
Organism Fishing rod Tail Bait Recreation

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Titan, 2022 Tracker Classic XL
7 Posts
Decades ago I never heard of anyone catching catfish while bass fishing. I've caught ~10 or so this year bass fishing, including one that was heavier than my 50 pound scale.
Food Hood Seafood Fish Wood

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Channels luv to hit lures....was trolling Crappie jigs on Jordan last week and caught just as many Cats as we did crappie and white bass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts