NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin for some decent cat fishing areas. I'm kinda familiar with the fort bragg and sanford areas and been doing ok just trying to locate more action. Has anyone been to any of the loc and dams?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Good spot, from the 295 bridge up about 200 yards to the dam under water you can't see. It's all 5-7 feet deep. Blues and flats. Anywhere in that area is good.
If you got a boat be careful upriver of the bridge. Most of the time if you look at the water carefully you can tell where the dam is. Looks like little wind ripples on a pond. She'll shear a lower unit clean off. Normally there might be a foot of water over the top of it. High water people use that opportunity to pilot their boats farther up river where boats don't normally go.

But it's bank fishable around the bridge. Not real easy to get down to water level but I've done it several times. It's the terrain. Grassy field with a drop off to the river. You'll want to go in on the I-95 side of the bridge not the Fayetteville side, unless things have changed.

The history behind that dam is that way back yonder the river was going to be diverted through downtown Fayetteville. If you know what you are looking at you can tell where they started digging the channel across land.

The blues you catch will have a belly full of clam shells.

Carry some eel and bait fish.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with all the above. My mom lived in Aberdeen when I was young and the Cape Fear was my choice of locations. Go into any store close to the river and strike up a conversation with one of the ole timers. They'd be happy to tell you when, where and what to use. Plus you'll get the latest fishing report.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I think I'm gonna check into the cape fear sometime soon just tryin to get a few friends to tag along!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts