NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke my skunk of no fish since Dec with this 2 lb Channel Cat.

My bass fishing was still a bust. There was fish there, just none liking me. I do use a glove when baiting the cats to limit any scent issues. Who knows.

Also found this guy when trying to retrieve a lure from his house. Didn't see it after I got the lure back, less then 6' away. Photo was taken a lot further back.

I was using Magic baits dough balls. I think I got lucky with this one cause I had three more strikes that day with no hooks and went back two days later and had another two strikes with no hooks. When I switched to treble hooks and springs I got nothing like they where the plague, what's that about?

I had the hook encased with the dough ball, what can I do help with a better hook set?

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
ditch the dough, shrimp, big nightcrawlers, panfish chunks, even the packaged shad from walmart beats that store bought dough. 2/0-3/0 circle hook, use a rod holder that is secure or hold the rod and set the drag fairly tight. Circle hooks have to set themselves as tension increases on the line. If you don't want to use circles go Trebles or Kahle hooks. trebles will increase your hang ups and loses of rigs considerably but are good for holding baits.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info.

I was using 4/0 octopus circle or treble, on 3/4 oz carolina rig in a rod holder. The line was tight and the fish set itself. The other hits, I didn't get to the rod til a few seconds after the twitch and then reeled in with no bait.

Is this a technique or luck issue?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.