NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the deal at Cattail Pond just outside Clayton? Is it or isn't it open anymore? I have stopped by a couple of times and it was chained off but some guys that have come in the shop have mentioned that they have been recently. Anyone from out this way?

Corey

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I drove by there not long ago Corey and it looked open to me and I saw someone driving down in there. I think it was about two weeks ago. I have often wondered about that place myself. I have never fished it.

Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to stop by again. I have only fished it once and didn't do too well, but its close to the house. I've heard that it was really good a few years back and then something happened with the dam and it hasn't recovered.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Dam probably broke during one of the major hurricanes. That happened to a lot of good places that haven't seemed to fully recover.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I wonder what it costs to stock a pond? Might be a worthy cause to start a charity that repopulates some of these once good areas. Even lakes and rivers.

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sundrop,

I just happen to have a pond stocking rate sheet here, so, to give you an idea...prices are per each and range by size...

Bluegill $0.35-$1.00
Shellcracker $0.40-$1.10
Largemouth $1.00-5.50
Channel Cat $0.45-$0.90
Black Crappie $0.50-$0.85

Several other species too. These rate are from Southeast Pond Stocking out of Currie, NC.

More info at Southeast Pond Stocking: Aquaculture - Fountains - Pond Maintenance

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Thanks! I didn't realize it cost that much actually. But when you think about the work involved and trucking the fish in good health I can see it now...

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey guys my uncle owned cattail before he passed away and the deal is.. a hole showed up in the bottom of the dam, we were out there netting huge bass and pan fish putting them in the river so they would live but the guy who now owns the land ran everyone off, chained the place up and as far as the water there's nothing but a small creek there now..... i haven't heard anything about the dam being fixed either,,, i'll keep you posted though.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Maybe the people that I saw done there not long ago were going to look at restoring the pond.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.