NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....If I were reading this instead of writing it, I'd call me a liar! I got caught up in a meeting during my regular lunch time, so I took a late lunch. Since I didn't have company I decided to hit Lake Crabtree (sorry lefty, it was so late, I figured you wouldn't be able to go).

Anyway, I starting throwing the old faithful Saltwater Assasin Paddletail, in Electric Chicken. I must have made 20 - 25 cast and at least half got snagged up on leaves and small branches. Then I got a hit...maybe not, is that a leaf, stick...? No, it's fighting! Kind of. I reel it in and right between the paddle and the body in the thinnest part of the bait is clamped a 12"-16" cottonmouth :eek:, and he wouldn't let go. I've never seen anything like it. He had the kung fu death grip on my chicken. I finally had to pin it down with a stick and dispatch of it. Let's see a Gulp! do that!:p

Sidebar: I decided to change baits and switched over to a little hardbait I picked up for crappie and caught a small LM Bass <1lb. I also used the cast net to catch a shad and put him under a cork. That produced a 5lb catfish that fought for a good 4 or 5 minutes.

GREAT LUNCH!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Topsail Angler said:
PH - you can have the cottonmouths, I'll stick to the Gulp! and FISH!
Seems electric ain't the only kinda chickens we have 'round here :p. Where's your sense of adventure?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hey man, I'll admit the hee-bee jee-bies around snakes... hate'm. Ever since I got bit by one reachin in a water meter hole to get my shoe out as a kid.... one of them things.

Another one that gets me wound up is a octopus... them things on a boat deck are freaky!! We had a 4 ft one come loose of a bait we had (looked just like a rock too...) and it all of a sudden let go and drop'd in the boat... man... you coulda heard me scream back on the beach from 40 miles out!!! Let's just say, bare feet and a octopus dont mix... :eek: :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
I can remember fishing as a kid, we had a stringer tied to a dock, we pulled it up to put on another adn there was a snake with a small one in its mouth. He didn't last much longer...

rye

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
ParrotHead said:
Seems electric ain't the only kinda chickens we have 'round here :p. Where's your sense of adventure?
Okay - let me clarify what I meant - while you are busy messing with those chickens and snakes, I'm catching FISH with the Gulp! :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I do have a healthy respect for cottonmouths - those things are aggressive at times. :eek:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 for 2

We'll it seems the EC aren't the only baits they like. I went out again yesterday and this time I saw the strike. It was only 2 feet from shore. I was using a little rattling crank bait for crappie. It struck and apparently the bait "bit" back. The snake went into twisting/striking frenzy and when it was done, he had 3 or 4 coils of line around it's middle and a treble hook in the side.

Kinda cut the fishing short trying to get rid of the snake. I didn't want to cut the bait loose and leave it stuck in it's side and it just wouldn't understand I was trying to help it :rolleyes:. 2 snakes caught while fishing - 2 dead snakes. I'm putting a picture below and I'll post the others in my album.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sinker man said:
ParrotHead .... Don't you be doing that to Rattlesnakes....they are protected by law now...:eek: Catch and release only...:D AL
It's self-defense.....Don't touch my CHICKEN!

That place is lousy with snakes. I saw another 5 or 6 on Friday. A couple could have been the same snake, but if I saw 5 snakes, there must have been dozens. They ranged from 1 to 4 feet. There's a lot kayakers on this big pond and the launch area for "car-top" boats is where I've seen everyone of these.

I took a couple of pictures of a 18 incher with a little bream hanging outta it's mouth. I'll post 'em when I can get them off the camera.

I found a website on NC snakes and emailed the pictures to the "expert". He claims the snake in the photo is a Banded Water Snake and not a Cottonmouth. Even with that arrowhead shaped head. I guess I ain't never seen a Cottonmouth.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hmm... the only time I've paddled Crabtree, we put in at the beach by the fields, with the volleyball courts. Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to stay there.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Just from looking at the picture posted I would tend to agree with the expert but with that picture I wouldn't put money on it either way. (need a good CLOSE-UP Banded water snakes are commonly called water mocassins so there is some confusion just because of that. A lot of people grow up thinking those "water mocassins" are cotton mouth mocsassins. It's also easy to confuse those water mocassins for copperheads.unless you are willing to take the risk it is better not to fish for them....oops... I meant bother them. AL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.