NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AB1620 and I decide to fish the CCC Spanish tournament for the first time this year. Every one talks about how much fun it is, and it definitely lived up to the hype.

The weather was absolutely perfect. Very calm seas, hardly a breeze (so it was hot...) but the water was gorgeous.

AB1620 had scouted out some really good schools of perfect seized pogies the day before, but unfortunately the king fisherman had already scooped em up and spread em out. We ran into some big schools of mullet so we decided to work with what we could find and scooped up several dozen good size mullets and headed out to look for action.

On the way out, Spanish busting the top and flying out of the water everywhere! We stop and throw out some mullets, and cast sting silvers into the feeding frenzy and pull out some nice eating size Spanish but nothing big enough to hit the mullet so we move further offshore and troll some live bait.

We had about 5 perfect sized pogies, so we put them on the long line, and then had mullet on the middle and short lines. Trolled for about 30 mins and had our first knockdown, a big Spanish! From then on out we had consistent action all day! Ended up catching 4 fish over 4 lbs, and several nice keepers. Our biggest fish weighed 4.6 lbs, and I think we ended up with 7th or 8th place.

Best part of the day...about 12 o'clock, we were checking baits and had just got in the long line when something slams our prop wash mullet.......it is pulling drag like crazy, going straight down....then it stops and AB1620 starts reeling in the slack, keeping the line tight. I'm trying to put bait on the long line not paying any attention to what he is doing, and then he yells out, and just in time I get to see the biggest sailfish I have ever seen landing back in the ocean!

One big problem..., its on a small Shimano jigging rod.....and a PENN battle 4000........with 20 lb line..............

So it takes off, and goes right between (25 ft of clearance maybe) a boat anchor line and the the AR320 bouy........well this is going to be a quick fight.......somehow it decides to run back towards the boat and doesnt get wrapped up.... (i should also note that this boat had just showed up, had divers in the water WITH NO FLAG.....and the sail fish went right past their bubbles........I was terrified that someone was going to get tangled up and seriously hurt.......ridiculous )

Luckily we get the fish away from the rest of the boats and start an hour and a half battle. We eventually landed it, measured it (64 1/2 inches tail to jaw, 75 inches from tail to tip of beak, 28 inch girth) and released it back into the water. Perfect timing to, we barely made it back to the weigh in.

We didn't win anything in the tournament but after fighting that sail, it didn't even matter. Blessed day of fishing for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
That's awesome man. The exact same thing happened to my buddy and I a few years back right in the shipping channel in AB. Bet that was an awesome fight.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Those divers turned the flounder bite off at 320, always hate when they show up. Seeing this beast sky 10 feet from
my boat was sweeeeeet though and made up for the lack of fish at that particular reef. Glad you guys landed it.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Pure Awesomeness Great job guys :)

Phil we need some days like this not seven foot seas lol

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That is a really big sail for nc man and a light action battle to boot. I'm jealous. Congrats boys

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's pretty dang cool man. Fish of a lifetime indeed. Bet that 4000 is due for a good servicing!

I had just serviced it the night before ( thank God ). It was acting sluggish the last time I used it, so I took it apart and cleaned it, grease and oil, working like a champ.

I probably need to swap in some new drag washers for sure lol....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Cograts on the sail fish and placing in the top ten of your first CCC tourny, I was out the same day and didn't find nice spanish till I got a couple miles off shore then they were everywhere

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well its been 2 years since I fished this tournament.........AB1620 and I went out this past weekend for the 9th annual CCC SM/Dolphin tournament and boy was it rough.......we fished till 1 and called it quits.

I will try to fish this tournament every year if I can but it will be hard to beat that fish on a penn 4k!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts