NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As PETA advertises their paid Hollywood wack jobs to pose naked in protest of Fur, Supermarket meat,Hunting , Fishing and pet ownership, I think that it's time that we recognize those famous and not so famous who share our love of the Outdoors. Let's hear your nominations for the Sportsman Hall of Fame. Nominate anyone that you like and briefly explain how they participate in the outdoors. They can be anyone living or deceased.

I'll start off with a few of my own;

Lee Marvin (Actor) Quoted as saying "I only make movies to finance my fishing."

Curt Gowdy. Simply the greatest sportscaster ever. Inducted into the IGFA Hall of Fame in 1981, Curt hosted the American Sportsman and brought the Outdoors into our living rooms from 1965 to 1985.

Hank Williams Jr (Singer) if your ever up around Kentucky Lake, it's just possible that you could run into this fellow chasing his favorite (Socolet) with a jig.

Gerald McRainey (Actor) starred in Simon and Simon . Gerald is an outspoken supporter of Hunting, Fishing,
wildlife Conservation, and Gun Rights. Honorary Chairman of the Union Sportsman Alliance.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I know Bill Dance used to fish alot with Jerry Reed, Jerry Clower, Mel Tillis. Then you've got alot of NASCAR guys that fish. Jane Seymore is an avid Flyfisher.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Let's not forget the Motor City Madman himself Ted Nugent!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a Great one Jeff. Roosevelt was probably one of this nation's first conservationalist. He also created the Wildlife Refuge System, and urged Congress to establish the US Forest Service.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Teddy Roosevelt - authored hunting books, I think he was a noted fisherman too.
I too was going to say Theodore Roosevelt. Teddy was a true outdoorsman and conservationist. He realized that there were areas in this great country that should be protected and preserved for everyone of every generation to enjoy and thus established the first 5 National Parks. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to him, because without his vision, I wouldn't have one of the coolest jobs in the world!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Bo Jackson comes to mind. He's a big outdoorsman, hunter and fisher.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I second Ted Williams, he doesn't only fly fish for tarpon, he also chases other species with the long rod. He has written the forewords in several trout fishing books, and authored his own book about Tarpon fishing. Williams was inducted into the IGFA Hall of Fame in 2000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.