NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't know if this is the right spot for this question, but i'll throw it out here anyway. does anyone have thoughts, from your own experience, on which cell provider offers the best coverage in our state's wilder areas?

i have at&t now, and pretty much any time i go anywhere in the mountains, even a little bit away from a main highway, i lose reception completely. at wilson creek, for example, i get nothing. south mountains state park is a zero and anything west/south of asheville/brevard is a complete dead zone. you fellow at&t'ers know what i mean.

i realize that no provider will be outstanding in these areas. maybe they're all like at&t, and i shouldn't harbor hope for better. i really, really want to hope for better, though, and i get the feeling they're not all like at&t. for example, a few years ago i rented a canoe on the new river. after i was dropped off, set up my gear and readied to shove off, i realized i had no paddles, and no reception to call the outfitter. so i had to walk back up the gravel road about a mile to the blacktop, where i finally ran into a kind gentleman who stopped when i flagged him down. he had reception on his phone, and he let me use it to call the outfitter, who came a-runnin' with the paddles (and a thousand apologies; good guy, i've used them again since). and on a backpacking trip on the AT, i had zero bars for two days, while another hiker had a strong enough signal to download apps.

don't get me wrong. i really enjoy the silence, the disconnect from the "other" world. i don't want to be plugged in. heck, if not for using the camera on the phone, i'd just leave it in the car. but it would be nice for an emergency, or just to occasionally check in should something happen. there are days when i know i can't be out of touch for 12 solid hours, so my choice of fishing location is dictated by how far i can be from a known reception pocket.

anyway, i'm going to research switching for many reasons other than this, and would really appreciate any sort of input from my fishing brethren ...

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Each carrier has coverage maps.
I go about service a little different than most folks it seems. I refuse to sign a contract and no phone is free.
I straight up buy my phone of choice. I prefer GSM protocol. So owning my phone I go can with any GSM provider and not hitching up to a contract, I can drop them at the drop of a hat and go somewhere else.

Currently I am with T Mobile. I live in the sticks. A Verizon phone at my house might as well be cut off and put in a drawer because there is no signal. T Mobile, I can talk on my phone just as I can my land lines sitting in the house.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I was an Over the Road trucker, and I like to travel alot too. Verizon has never left me w/o service for more than a mile or 2 anywhere I have ever been in the USA. Sprint and At&T were awful.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
I've had AT&T for many years. The coverage in the mountains is indeed non-existant. There are very strict height guidelines on cell phone towers in the mountains. And Verizon will pick up a signal up there. It's weak but it's there.

Everywhere else I've been has been excellent coverage. Their customer service is outstanding as well. And the 4G internet service via the mobile hot spot at my house is great. Living in the sticks, the only other option was satellite internet and that blows.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I obviously have not been to DR's house. I have Verizon and have had coverage everywhere I go. This topic has come up a few times on the state wide wood worker board I frequent also and the consensus among the pros that need it everywhere is always Verizon, but there is a caveat - it is easy to beat the price. Nearly everyone who has it, myself included, has a cheaper choice that has good local coverage.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I have US Cellular, and got my calls through at New River State Park the 1st year I went there, and the other times also. Somewhere between Winston Salem and Ashville there is a short distance I lose my signal. Can't get anything while on the river at NRSP.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
I have US Cellular, and got my calls through at New River State Park the 1st year I went there, and the other times also. Somewhere between Winston Salem and Ashville there is a short distance I lose my signal. Can't get anything while on the river at NRSP.
Why don't you come try it this year and see if it works now you old goat....:)

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
By the way, I still have the 1st flip phone I've ever had. Holster for it went caput. Been carrying it in my pocket for a long while now, and it looks like it.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I've used several carriers in the last 10 years and it seems Carolina West has been the most consistent for me....it picks up great signal even where nobody else has signal at all....

Now, I have the worst carrier: Sprint....never use this carrier!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
You old coot, I wish. Still haven't given up on it, but most likely will not. I am scared to go to your thread on it. It could cause me to cry alligator tears.
Just added a Fly Fishing Prize Category new for this year. In spite of your constant humble denial, you're pretty good with one.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I still have a lot to learn, but since I am still young, I should have plenty of time to learn. I am fairly satisfied with my false casting and fairly satisfied with my accuracy, but I need to work on a roll cast for the mtns. Not good on that at all.

Just added a Fly Fishing Prize Category new for this year. In spite of your constant humble denial, you're pretty good with one.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I too hate to admit it but Verizon worked everywhere for me. What didn't work was their pricing. I believe there is some difference between phones as to how well they pick up a signal.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts