NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
And if you hunt for more pics on this site, you can see how cool that boat looks covered in fish slime! THAT BOAT CAN CATCH SOME FISH!!

The time I rode with Dave, his son was pullin' 'em in one after the other! :D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
That's a wahoo brother, not a king... ;)

Put it this way.. boys from Seatle pretty much do it their own way, no matter whatchya tell'm... :rolleyes: Notice he aint got but 4 toes and missin the tip off the 2nd one... obviously not his first rodeo!;)

All my big fish go straight in the box, usually if we're on them, aint got time to fiddle with pullin a hook out:D Not worried about blood on the deck, raw water wash at 5 gallons a minute, like it never happend! :D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
3 cuda's rip'd him at the starboard side.. everything we could do to try to get him in the boat..... he'd of been a nice one.. half a fish gone in literally, a split second.. amazing and brutal..

Hey man, was over your way two weeks ago.. drop'd in to Choplin to drool on that 29 Key West CC... have ya seen that? nice set up!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
...drop'd in to Choplin to drool on that 29 Key West CC... have ya seen that? nice set up!
Dave, I was at Choplin last week too... Looking a little lower in the food chain at the Tidewater bay boats. I don't know a thing about salt boat brands - they all look about the same to me. What's your opinion on where Key West fits in the saltwater boat manufacturer hierarchy? Higher end? Lower end? Good value?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Jeff, I dont play the tier game, I'm a Go/No go kinda guy on the boat game.

You cannot go wrong with either the Key West or the Tidewater's. Tidewater is a newish company that was formed from Former Sea Pro folks... they're considered good boats and similar to layout as Sea Pro boats.

Key West make a good boat at a fair price. Good fit/finish and a boat that will last you. Thru hull's done right, good design/build/layouts (I looked at the twin 2300 WA when I was shopping for my last boat, that was definately on my shortlist over the Wellcraft 240 Coastal).

My favorite one over there at Choplin is that Pioneer 197!! (Former Scout boys build those Pioneers now.. Impeccable fit/finish and options). Definately built to last and done right, quality hardware.

Ones to shy away from would be (I know Todd will kill me for this), but Clearwater... they leave much to be desired in my opinion... I do not like the line of Sea Fox offshore boats specifically the 23 and 25 CC, and Nauticstar layouts... well,, lets say they put 20 lbs of fudge in a 10 lb sack... no real room in the back where everyone likes to fish/spend their time... get's crowed quick in the back of those boats.

Cant go wrong with Sea Pro, Sea Hunt (Very nice line up they have out right now!) love their 26cc and 29cc.

Bay boat choice would definately get a second look at Tidewater (good prices right now from Edsmarinesuperstore.com - might be able to negoiate with Choplin folks v.s. comparable boat at Ed's - example - 216cc nicely appointed with Yama 4 stroke, alum trailer, Custom hard top Ttop and full cushions and some other things for $30K for an 07 NEW, that's not bad for a 21 (water-line length)).

Tidewater - thumbs up
Key West - thumbs up
Sea Hunt - thumbs up
Sea Fox - eyyy..eee.. decide for yourself
Clearwater - thumbs down
Sea Pro - thumbs up

Anytime ya want do some boat shoppin, pm me! ;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Dave, what's your take on pathfinders? I've been looking around ( under cover of darkness least I get jumped on ). Don't laugh guys but I need something to get into the marsh and across the river to Southport that I can put in and out with a golf cart.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Dave, what's your take on pathfinders? I've been looking around ( under cover of darkness least I get jumped on ). Don't laugh guys but I need something to get into the marsh and across the river to Southport that I can put in and out with a golf cart.
Marshes? Golf cart? Gotcha covered. How does a three-inch draft depth sound?

Just look both ways before crossing the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
My kayak has a console in the center, that's where the fishfinder is mounted. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey man, was over your way two weeks ago.. drop'd in to Choplin to drool on that 29 Key West CC... have ya seen that? nice set up!

Yea, that's a nice boat. Key West has done a good job on focusing on their bigger boats lately. However, I do hear the 26CC is not a smooth ride....something about the length and width just didn't work out right. They said the 23CC is a better ride.

Jeffonc, I LOVE my Key West 19 bay boat. Bought it new in 2003. Just took it out of Cedar Island, been to the coast numerous times, and a couple times out of Oregon Inlet. It's perfect for the lake. With that said, I'm really looking at the Tidewater 21 bay boats. I need a slightly bigger boat for what I do and the layout is a little better for me. If you want to compare the Tidewater to the Key West sometime just let me know. I live 2 doors down from Choplin and wouldn't mind walking over there with you. :)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Dave, what's your take on pathfinders? I've been looking around ( under cover of darkness least I get jumped on )..
That's cool Sandbar... I'm not familiar with the Pathfinder, but I did look at the spec's.
The 21 seems to be a robust boat, little heavier than some in that size and has a 60 gallon tank which with a 4 stroke motor should provide enough get there and back for sure. I'm not a bay boat guy... so capacities is the first thing I look at.

Not having touchy-feelie'd one.. I couldnt give you an honest opinion other than they look good and appear to have good spec's, would probably ride decent due to heavier weight.

Another brand is Shearwater.. they look fantastic,, I would be interested to hear feedback on those

Here's a link for Maverick Boat Co. (Maverick Boat Company Official Website), some models to look at there for comparison...

Sorry cant help ya too much on those Sandbar.... The guys that I know that have bay boats (limited crowed) have Sea Pro's (SV 2300) or the Polar 220 bay (nice boat by the way - here's a link for line up of Polar series bay's - http://www.iboats.com/sites/polar/)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The pathfinder is an excellent boat and very popular around these parts with the drum fisherman - it has a low profile and is trimmed nicely for marsh/bay/river fishing (using a pole or trolling motor to get in very skinny water quietly). Unlike some bay boats, I'm not sure I'd stray outside the inlet with it as it has a low transom and low gunnels.

Johnson Marine here in Hampstead just started carrying the Tidewater line. I stopped in yesterday and they have one of their bay boats in stock - it looked a lot like the Pathfinder but for less money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.