NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone that might be headed down this way we are having a great run of fish right now. In the Tampa Bay area they are catching lots of Spanish, Grouper, Snapper and Cobia all from the piers.

On the Atlantic side the fishing is just as good. I just returned today from a beach in the Canaveral National Seashore. Fished for about 6 hours and caught about 20 Whiting up to 2 lbs., five spots, 1 bluefish, four bonnet head sharks, 1 large Mojarra, 1 Ladyfish, 1 Pinfish, three Blue Runners and one large Sting Ray. Only brought home the Whiting, Spots, and Bluefish. The rest were all released.

If anyone ever gets down this way post the date and I'll be happy to show you around or let you know whats biting and where.

Wishing everyone full coolers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Left coast - right coast - ???

Went to the Canaveral National Seashore this past weekend. Fished area #8. Felt like I was on the beach at Topsail. We caught, Whiting, Spots, Bluefish, stingray, sharks(scalloped hammer heads), ladyfish, pinfish, Mojarra, Blue runners, and Pompano. Brought home 21 fish. The Spots and Whiting were unusually large. Fished a total of 6 hours on the falling tide. Caught some red feet also, ouch! lol

Friends reported that the Gulf/Tampa Bay area was awesome over the weekend, with fish being caught everywhere. Spanish, grouper, snapper, sharks, bluefish and jacks. All caught from piers and bridges. With Skyway and Ft. Desoto Gulf piers providing the hottest action. Many Tarpon and Snook along the beaches, inlets, and Bay.

Good fishing everywhere but, there is some bad news in Florida. The Red Tide is moving north in the Gulf with reports of many dead fish washing up on the beaches.

Tight lines and full coolers to all.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
WOW! Now that is a trophy in it's own right. A guy would have to have plenty of barefooted friends along to count all them spots. Hey! I got a hot tip for you... Check out Venice pier for some free old fashioned pin rig King fishing. Great place for the fall bait run and if action is slow there the Venice jetties on the north end of the Island are a great snook spot. When the bait pours out of Tampa Bay it goes right by Venice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The report for fishing just seems to stay good for pretty much all of the Central Florida area. My family and I went to Canaveral National Seashore today and did some surf fishing. We caught Whiting, Bluefish, Jacks, and Pompano. All in all a great day even though I broke a brand new 12ft surf rod while casting a 3oz. sinker. Can't figure that one out. Had to be a flaw in the rod.

Over in the Tampa Bay area the snapper are still active and the grouper are coming in to the bay. Some really nice grouper coming off the Skyway piers and the Fort Desoto pier. And for some strange reason the Spanish Mackeral are still in the bay area.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I was under the impression that spanish were year round residents inTampa Bay. I've caught them there in Nov. but that is as late as I can vouch for. I think the majority must bail sometime in Nov. though. Lots of schools of spanish and blue runners head down the SW coast when the water temp is around 72-70 degrees or somewhere close.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not always. There are years that you will see the occasional one here and there. And then there are years that there is a constant supply of them. However, this year they are thick. All you have to do is find the bait schools and yu can limit out in no time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update for 9-2

Fishing on the West Coast remains the same. Good fishing to be had everywhere. Snook season opened with a lot of quality fish being caught. Mackeral still in the bay and grouper are starting to show up in good numbers.

East Coast: Went to Playalind yesterday in the Canaveral National Seashore. No weed or grass what so ever. Fish were there. Fished area #9 caught fish all day up until 4PM started fishing at 8AM. All the fish were caught just past the outer bar. Lady fish were the predominant species. Caught 16 of them. Total catch for the day - 16 Ladys, 2 bluefihs(2+ lbs), 4 catfish(****), 2 Crevalle(1 about 6lbs.). And now the good news. Caught 8 nice size pompano and 14 beautiful Whiting. A fantastic fun day.

Most of the reports along the East coast are the same as above. Some fish are starting their fall migration already. So we expect the fishing to do nothing but get better in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haven't had much time lately to post. I've been to busy fishing and catching. Since my last post things have changed here in Central Florida. The fishing has gotten better. Bluefish, Whiting, Pompano, Flounder, Snook, Redfish(Drun), and Mullet are everywhere. We have all been having a ball. This weekend was an off weekend. Not because of the fishing but, because of the surf conditions. For boaters is is still good but, the surf has some huge ground swell coming ashore from the hurricane that passed way offshore. This created some area that were really bad. Two people have died in the last week from head trauma due to being body slammed by the big waves. It got so bad that Daytona and New Smyrna beaches were close Saturday. I spent yesterday riding and checking on different places. Did manage to have a little fun. Caught one undersized snook and some ribbonfish in one place. Went on down the coast to Port Canaveral and caught 50 smoking size mullet with my cast net from the pier inside the port at Jetty Park. Further south where the swells were blocked by the Bahamas the fishing this weekend was fantastic to say the least. For anyone coming down to Florida now is the time the fishing is getting better everyday as we go into the fall and winter months. Until next time, Tight lines and full coolers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.