NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1-3-15

Well I Tried!!!!!!.....

I tried to explain to people that it was going to rain this morning at the coast, but not where I was going to go fishing. Oh no, it's going to rain and I don't want to fish in the rain. Ok, BoBo and I got in the truck and we went fishing by ourselves. And thankfully, I was right..... It never rained the whole time BoBo and I were fishing or should I say catching!!!

The skies were overcast, the air was warm and calm, and it took me about an hour to find the fish and that was around 11AM when the Garmin "Down Vu" marked a school of fish and I had just told myself that this should be what I was looking for when two rods doubled over with a couple nice Yellow Perch. Thinking I had found a school of nice Yellow Perch, and I may have had, but......

The big Largemouth Bass and Chain Pickerel had stolen the scene after this and I could hardly keep rigged and lines in the water for the next couple hours. Several times, and by that I mean at least a dozen or more times the rod would double over and in just a few seconds the lure would be broken off by a big fish. Why not use heavier line?, you can, but you won't get the bites you will on lighter line, and I'll gladly sacrifice some lures to get the bites!! About 2 hours of this and I had enough. It was time to head home and you'll never guess what we had tonight for dinner.

That's right, fried chain pickerel.... as good as it gets!!! Here's a tip for you.... if you have tried to eat them before and couldn't because of the "Y" bones, well, I have a video on You Tube showing you how to remove these "Y" bones, it has over 18,000 views and some rave reviews. Try one of these fish once and you'll have a new species that you will from then on target, I guarantee it!!!!! They are delicious and a blast to catch as they fight hard and jump high!!!!!

It was an awesome way to start the new fishing year and I will do everything I can to make it continue!!! The lures that worked for me today was the Berkley "Flicker Shad" laced with Pro-Cure's "Crappie And Panfish Magic super gel" The combo was definitely what they wanted today and if you will notice the lure on the left, it has the hooks nearly eaten off the lure.

Lots of rain and some major changing weather patterns are in the forecast. But, you know us, we will be somewhere trying to put the pieces of the new puzzle together and when we do, I will have the results for you right here!!! Sorry about some of the pictures today, I was by myself and many times when I was trying to take a picture of one fish I would have another rod or two to get bit before I got done taking that picture......Wish all my problems were like these!!!!

Till next time, be safe, go catch a pickerel, Bass, or Yellow Perch, and God Bless You All!!!!

Fish On!!!!!
Capt. Butch Foster

PSALM 34:10 Even lions may get weak and hungry, but those who look to the LORD

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice job!!!! A lot of tasty fish are overlooked because they are harder to clean!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Nice catch of Jack you got there. Fun to catch. One of the most ornery fish I've ever seen in freshwater. They go after the red cork rather than the bait on the end of the line at times.

I've never dressed them but I have eaten jack. It's a good eating fish.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I found the best way to deal with them is to scale, gut and head them and bake the fish whole. Their scales are fine and easy to remove. I can't remember if the Pickerel has the green bile sack like a northern or not. If they do you do not want to break it and get it on the fish.

You can also just loin them.

mikeski

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
On the light line, I saw one time fishing for white perch where it made a difference. Buddy and I were bass fishing and stumbled on to them. We were both throwing the same crankbait, pretty much the same color. I was throwing mine on 10 lb, my buddy throwing his on 6 lb (crazy IMO), he probably outfished me 3 to 1 on perch, not sure if they saw my line more than his or if that extra few inches his plug would dive made the difference.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
On the light line, I saw one time fishing for white perch where it made a difference. Buddy and I were bass fishing and stumbled on to them. We were both throwing the same crankbait, pretty much the same color. I was throwing mine on 10 lb, my buddy throwing his on 6 lb (crazy IMO), he probably outfished me 3 to 1 on perch, not sure if they saw my line more than his or if that extra few inches his plug would dive made the difference.
All I use is 4 and 6lb test on my spinning gear. I can't remember a time when we used anything more than 6lb when fishing in Michigan 50 years ago. Hmmm, Maybe the line on a Zebco 202?? But I bet it came spooled. With toothy critters around we used a steel leader.

And I have been called worse than crazy in the past ;-)

mikeski

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
All I use is 4 and 6lb test on my spinning gear. I can't remember a time when we used anything more than 6lb when fishing in Michigan 50 years ago.
I say he was crazy because most of the water around here is pretty stained and has some big fish and alot of cover. If that 3 lber grabs his plug and decides to go hide in a laydown to get away, he will get his way. He wont be able to stop the fish and if the fish gets him wrapped up, he is as good as gone.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
A GREART bunch of fish. I used to get into Jacks in the creeks around Moore county when i was a kid, but I haven't caught any in a long time. Thanks for posting.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ya, if I am fishing hard cover I go to 12 and 17 on a pair of level winds. Outside of that it's 4 and 6 on spinning gear.

Also, in Maine I use a fly rod when vertical fishing smallmouth with crawlers. I use 6lb mono as a leader to the fly line. This really shows those light mouthings of the smallies when we are there in mid summer. And it's a blast trying to keep up with a few pound smallie on a 6 or 7 weight fly rod with a 1 to 1 reel.

And, thinking of how light the crappie were hitting on the minnows I have to rig up a 5wt with 4lb leader for my next trip.

In a boat, except for fishing in heavy cover, a bass, perch, crappie, cat, ... has nowhere to go. They might run a bit or go down and circle and hold. They might go around an obstacle you need to worry about. But none will spool you like something at the ocean might. It's not tournament fishing were every inch or ounce counts. It's sport fishing and I am willing to loose a lure or two to fish that can capitalize on a mistake I make. Bad knot, freyed line, bottom of the boat, brain fart, .... It's always my fault if I loose one. I guess you could call it Finesse Fishing now.

I say... Give a fish a chance. Try some light tackle fishing. I guarantee it will test your skills.

mikeski....

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
To each his own, nothing wrong with going light if thats what makes you happy. I do enjoy carp fishing at the park with a 5 ft ultra light and 6 lb test fishing for 10-20 lb fish. If I lose a big carp or catfish it doesnt bother me one bit.

Bass fishing, I tend to fish every day like its tournament day... thats what drives me to work hard every day to improve my skills, find them and catch them.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Capt Butch, glad you posted! I've been using your video to filet pickerel for years.

2012 was my best year for pickerel, caught 2 over 4 lbs up here in the Piedmont.
http://thefishwhispererblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/2012-year-of-pickerel.html?m=1

-Jeff
nice fish!!.....yeah i have caught some on that water but FW probably remembers the day I lost 7 on that water. yes lost 7!...probably the only time i have ever wanted to break a rod. I think i finally chunked that lure to the bottom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.