NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Central NC's summertime weather forecast very often includes the subject clause. What do y'all do with your boating and fishing plans when this forecast is in effect?
(1) stay home and wish you were out?
(2) go out, but stay close enough to the takeout that you can make it to the car.
(3) go out, but be ready to seek shelter on dry land (other than your own car)

I'm thinking mostly of the central-region reservoirs, but it seems the questions would be relevant for all cases except open-ocean, where you can't run for dry land.

If you go out under this forecast, what do you use to make the "retreat" decision? Does NOAA WX-radio give you enough detailed info to judge whether a storm is approaching your location versus elsewhere in the broadcast area? How much time do you get with eyes-and-ears?

If you seek shelter besides your own car -- where?? At Jordan Lake, for example, most of the land has trees, which generally are not advised in thunderstorms... Of course, in a forest, your boat is no longer the highest spot...

Thanx for your thoughts
Lefty

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If caught out on the water during lightning, we retreat to the cabin until the storm blows over. We just move the cushions and pull up the bunk boards and can seat 4. (lake or ocean)

If at the launch or near the truck, we pile in that until the storm blows over.

Funny, I've seen jon boats 20 ft onshore with motors runnin sometimes from folks runnin to get back to shore out of the lightning... I've seen ramps slam packed with boats all wanting to pull out at the same time with lightning striking all around, to me that's probably more dangerous (cranking the boat onto the trailer during the heat of battle).... stay low, keep away from tall objects and metal objects (i.e. for some Ttops, bimini tops, etc..) if there's no other place to go.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave
Thanx for the thoughts -- good warning about having to wait in line at the ramp.

I'm working on my kayak-fishin' plans, so seeking refuge below decks isn't gonna be an option (I'm small, but not that small). On the other hand, I shouldn't need to wait in line at a ramp. Oughtta be able to beach the yak nearby and hoof it back to the car, if I can get there before my hair stands on end. Even if I don't have time to get it loaded, I can sit it out if I hafta.

I'm trying to remember -- does NOAA WX-radio announce all thunderstorms, or just severe ones? Is there a good way to get maybe a 15-minute warning, to give a guy a few minutes to paddle back to the ramp? I guess I could leave someone at home staring at the radar...
Lefty

·
Registered
116 Posts
If in the boat during lightning, one should get low below the engine power head if possible, and you should really stop fishing since graphite is an excellent conductor.:rolleyes: I have run up under a local bridge since the ramp was too crowded to make it to the car. I don't know if this provided any protection but it seemed like the thing to do.
Andy

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Carpenter has a good point too, lot's of folks "duck" under the bridges when lightning hits.

If on Jordan Lefty, the one thing for you and others I would suggest, is get to any of the beaches and get under the pavillions or restroom areas on the lake.

Yes, VHF NOAA does broadcast "possible" storms. But I will admit, stuff can blow up before NOAA issues a weather broadcast.. so you will definately have to keep an "eye on the sky" as well.

Definately, whether a offshore-inshore-lake-yaker, always check weather conditions day before heading out and morning or afternoon prior to heading out for a day on the water. I know for us that head offshore, we'll watch for weather trends a week out.

One site I use is weatherunderground.com for my weather, and they've been accurate for the most part.

Definately take Carpenters advice on getting everything low!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.