NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
First I heard about it. Hope it happens but I very highly doubt it. North Carolina has been brilliant in its ability to allow for the sabotage of estuaries and enable it to continue. The last public ballot to "protect the rights of fisherman" or however it was labeled on the ballot in 2018 (i think) basically protected the shrimpers. I do not and will never buy shrimp from NC. Anyhow, thanks for the post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a big advocate for change in the NC fishing industry but I don’t agree with this bill or at least how it’s portrayed in that text. A compete ban on nets in all coastal waters is not a fair, or reasonable way to manage commercial fishing in my opinion. fish, shrimp, and bait will be incredibly expensive and much harder to come by if they get rid of all coastal netting. I believe the shrimp trawlers need to go out in the ocean and the gill nets need to be out of our rivers but this is a piece of legislation that would virtually end commercial fishing in NC, so I can’t support it. I know CCA and Joe Albea’s organization are suing the state and some trawler companies and will probably be in court by this summer. God only knows how that will go but my prediction is if the state and MFC doesn't make the right choices, the fishing will get so poor that the public outcry from all fishermen will cause some serious reform and eventually a rebound in at least some of our fisheries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't believe this is a complete ban, but is a call for a state REFERENDUM TO LIMIT INDISCRIMINATE NET FISHING IN THE COASTAL WATERS OF THE STATE (https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2021/Bills/House/PDF/H513v1.pdf). Below is the proposed question for the ballot box.

View attachment 218805

Whether you are for or against, seems like a legitimate question for citizens of NC. Just my $0.02.
ah okay it just appeared to be a compete net ban from the OP link. I will look into that for sure. I just hope whoever is leading this bill is keeping in mind and supporting pound netters and giggers that have been casualties of poor management despite how clean those fisheries are. I would love to see the grey trout, croakers, spot, and many other species return to what they once were. I think many, especially the young people in the industry are finally ready for serious change. I also hope the public gets more informed about the facts of these issues, most people have no idea what’s really been going on at the coast, and how incredibly abundant the fisheries were.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts