NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to using a lot of hardbaits, crankbaits etc. I know it's best to upgrade hooks on mirrolures , rattle traps etc but I don't know what to buy etc. I thought this post might help a lot of us so lets here it!
***In my case we are talking inshore salt species.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like the Owner Stinger trebles. They're pricey, but they are really great hooks. I rinse them after each trip and don't have corrosion issues.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with factory mirrolure hooks. They are already 4x strong hooks. Once they get rusted and bent out of shape replace them with VMC 4x strong hooks. 17's use a number 6 and 52's use a number 4.

For other baits it is critical to match the hook to the bait especially on suspending baits as you will quickly mess up their action. A good example is the yozuri 3ds minnow. The factory hooks on it are garbage. I replace them with a gamagatsu 2x strong hook. Topwater lures other than mirrolures get new hooks if their intent is for redfish. On those I like the VMC 4x strong hooks. Number 2 on back and number 4 up front.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Does anyone have a good hook to put on the gotcha 1/2 ounce jig fish lures? The blues were biting mine in half last weekeend.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just the kind of info Im looking for thanks guys. And what about split rings?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get the oval kind of split rings. If you use braid or even small diameter mono it has a tendency to split through the eye of of circle split ring. An oval split ring ensures that the line always stays at the top of the ring.

I am assuming your talking about adding a split ring to the nose of the bait. If you're talking about adding split rings to the hooks then a circle ring will do fine.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
In the salt if I was fishing lures 1-1/2oz or up I would add a tactical clip to the rear of my lures so if only toothy blues were around I could switch to siwash hooks without any dressing in the dark or on a rock.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I always change all my trebles to Gamakatsus pretty quick. Alot of lure makers are using inferior hooks.

Last month I was on Kerr Lake and took a brand new Strike king diamond shad from the package, tied it on a started chunking.
About 10 casts later I got bit had it on for 5 seconds and it just let go. A few casts later I inspect the hooks as I pulled some grass off, those things were dull as could be, I couldnt even stick my thumb. I took two others from the package and they were the same way. I told this story to a buddy who does purchasing for an outdoor store in VA, he had also had similar experiences. He said he asked a Strike king rep what kind of hooks they use, guy told him the cheapest they could find.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I try to only use hooks that rust. That way if I lose a lure the fish might survive. Cheap stainless still rusts too, just takes a bit longer.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
They all rust. Rinse them off with fresh water after use and allow to dry before putting away and they'll last a lot longer.
That's why I asked. Never really found any that wouldn't eventually rust. I do wash all my tackle off at the end of the day and try to preserve it as best as I can, and it does help. But the worst by far is the Yozuri 3DMinnow. Evidently they must have intended it to be used for fresh water because the hooks and rings will rust quicker than most. Are the 3DMinnow hooks a size 6?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.