NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it to my local creek this afternoon to try do some panfishin and found the water still pretty muddy with a little more current than I like for panfishin so I decided to try for some catfish. Caught 20 or so with quite a few decent eater size but I let them all go. Tried for panfish a while too and found they were biting fine but the current made it a little hard to get the bait to them like I like.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Love small cats. Best tasting size.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I like chicken livers as the best bait for getting a bite once you have a good one or piece of one properly hooked. I hate everything else about them though. Hard to keep fresh, hard to hook, come with a lot of "junk parts" you can't easily hook, stinks (and hard to wash off) etc. I did really well one day when I took leftover roast that was about to go bad because the roast was a tough one, make a garlic sauce with Italian dressing and garlic sauce and soaked them in it. While I was fishing, if I went a few minutes without a bite (rarely happened) I would swap out my bait and soak it some more while using a new one.

Good day, Rooster!

EDIT - The water gets too cold for me before it gets too cold for catfish IME. I think it gets thought of as a summer fish because it is often a laid back all night outing. It's more the people social aspect than the fish.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My experience from last year is they get pretty hard to catch once the water gets in the mid 30 degree range. Maybe if it stayed that way for 4 or 5 days they would regulate and start biting again because I know they catch them through the ice up north. Also the biggest channel cats in the world come from the red river in Manitoba, Canada. Peeled shrimp is my bait of choice. Tried cut finger mullet and nada. Last year I tried garlic marinated chicken with very little success. Never caught a fish on it but they would come up and tap on it a little just wouldn't eat it. Shrimp has proven for me summer or winter to be the best catfish bait.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Bait shrimp would be a good option if I planned ahead better. Another one that surprised me once is mealworms. I was using them for panfish and every now and then one managed to sink all the way to the bottom and I would catch a catfish instead. That was in FL, but I doubt catfish here would turn them down. The smell with them is from being punctured; not sure what effect temp has. I wasn't surprised that they would eat them, just surprised that I was getting decent sized ones (big fun on UL) with a single mealworm.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Might try a combination of cut bait treated in garlic etc and dip baits like Secret 7

·
Registered
41 Posts
liver in my eyes is the best. im really big on catfishing once is starts getting col because they still bite. ive spent countless dollars on other baits like secret seven, catfish dough, stink baits, cut bait, shrimp, worms, bacon, hotdogs, hearts and gizzards, all kinds of thing even tried spicing up liver with other scent stuff that's out there for it. nothing works nearly as well as chicken liver. ive found a few tricks to make it easy to hook it. might take a little longer to prep everytime u bait your hook but it works. one is use a treble hook. take it off the quick connect and poke the eye of the hook through the liver and reconnect to the quick connect. works really well. sometimes I don't have to rebait my hook after I catch a few fish. the next is a piece of sock or pantie hoes. cut a little bit off and fill with liver and tie the ends and hook through it. this hooks the best but doesn't let the scent out as much. the other is rubber bands. youll hook the liver and double or triple wrap the rubber band around the the liver and hook. this works good but loose a bunch of rubber bands if you get a lot of hits.

·
Registered
595 Posts
liver in my eyes is the best. im really big on catfishing once is starts getting col because they still bite. ive spent countless dollars on other baits like secret seven, catfish dough, stink baits, cut bait, shrimp, worms, bacon, hotdogs, hearts and gizzards, all kinds of thing even tried spicing up liver with other scent stuff that's out there for it. nothing works nearly as well as chicken liver. ive found a few tricks to make it easy to hook it. might take a little longer to prep everytime u bait your hook but it works. one is use a treble hook. take it off the quick connect and poke the eye of the hook through the liver and reconnect to the quick connect. works really well. sometimes I don't have to rebait my hook after I catch a few fish. the next is a piece of sock or pantie hoes. cut a little bit off and fill with liver and tie the ends and hook through it. this hooks the best but doesn't let the scent out as much. the other is rubber bands. youll hook the liver and double or triple wrap the rubber band around the the liver and hook. this works good but loose a bunch of rubber bands if you get a lot of hits.
Thanks for the tips. Did you ever try salting them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.