NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right after I made the thread last night asking about conditions on the New I noticed a cell on the radar around Laurel Springs that looked to be fairly strong. Not wanting to take my chances I decided to head to a different river and poke around a little.

After about 15-20 minutes on the water this morning I had a nice 13"er slam my slider. My first smallmouth on the fly rod, and a personal best (sad as that may be). This got my hopes up that maybe I'd have a banner day. Unfortunately I only landed one other smallmouth, along with a sunny, and a chub. The chub was the dangest thing. After I landed and released it, it hit my wooly bugger again on the very next cast. Unfornately I missed it. Don't know many folks that can say they've caught the very same fish on back-to-back casts.

All-in-all it was a good morning of river therapy. Looking forward to getting after them again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Congrats.

Some weather insight. I arrived on the river in Crumpler about 5 Sat. afternoon. It had not rained anywhere in the general area all day, even though the forecast was for scattered showers and thunderstorms. Unfortunately, I know a 4 person guide trip got cancelled that day because of the weather forecast. But the weather stayed nice all day.

Sat. night, in the Mouth of Wilson/Crumpler area, there were at least 2 pretty good rain showers that moved thru. But, Sunday morning both the S. and N. Forks of the New, and the main stem, still looked quite good. The 3 other fishermen I met had driven thru heavy rain to get to Mouth of Wilson, VA, and were surprised to find the river looking good...and that the rain in that area had moved on. We had about 5 hours of good fishing before a heavy rain moved in and lasted for about 45 minutes. After that, the fishing was still good until about 4...when muddy water started to flow in from the tributaries. We called it a day after that. Monday, everything was quite muddy. Today, however, the main stem of the New was still pretty dingy...but much better than it looked on Sunday afternoon...despite some heavy rain in the area on Monday.

Forecasts and radar and river gauges can be helpful sometimes....and sometimes they can keep us off the river when actually conditions might be pretty good. Sometimes the N. Fork is muddy and the S. crystal clear... sometimes it's just the opposite. Sometimes the forks are muddy but it hasn't reach the main stem etc. etc. often tough to call...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts