NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this winter I bought a "fixer upper" kayak through this web site. I finished restoring it today. It is a 13' Phoenix Slipper. It was a mess, with splits in the bow and stern, chips out of the glass, the paint job needed removal. there were no foot rests or padding in the seat. The fiberglass had a lot of pinholes and gouges.

Here are some photos of the Phoenix Slipper kayak I restored. The fiberglass was repaired, the paint stripped to bare fiberglass, repainted with good marine paint, the seat upgraded, the handles replaced, "Nose art" added, and the cockpit cowling upgraded. Wife wants to try it out tomorrow. No reason to argue.

Vehicle Sports equipment Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
That old marine is looking good in retirement. :D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Very nice job, Mike!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Excellent work, I'll look forward to seeing it on the water.
With all that love and care, I suspect it is better then new now.

Cheers, Tom

If you are ever down Burlington way, be sure to drop by and say Hi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice job bringing the old horse back to life. Wish I had time to do more of that kind of stuff. I recently ordered a Crow Wing 960 from sportboatsdirect.com (good site with detailed specs about the kayaks). If you can get a few friends together to order you can get the
Kayaks Wholesale

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
and the cockpit cowling upgraded.
I'm curious about that one Mike. I assume you're talking about the white insert that comes over the lip of the cockpit opening and looks like it serves as the seat pan. Is there a standard size cockpit opening, were model-specific replacements readily available or did you customize something to fit?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The edges were chipped and still irregular after I filed them. So, I added some plastic to soften the edges to prevent getting cut. The plastic I used is a 1/2" flexible plastic tubing (Home Depot Plumbing). I split it carefully on the inside of the curve then opened it and slid it over the cowling. I cut it to size (length) and added another piece over the joint, then pop-riveted the splice so that it can't come apart (My tests with epoxy and PVC Glue showed that glue wouldn't hold). The round edge should hold the skirt better too, if one's used. Wife wants the same treatment on the edges of the thigh pad area.

I did something similar in my Pamlico, because the edges rubbed my legs while paddling. After a few hours that gets tiresome.

Note: The tubing springs closed and grips the edges. The problem is keeping it in-place. On the slipper I went all the way around and secured it with the rivets to keep it from opening and coming off.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice restore! A former boss once pulled one of these out of a Dumpster on 501 South near Bynum. Her restoration was little more than patching the dinged nose. Still, that old yak paddled very nicely. I bet yours will be a great ride!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.