NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis isn't mine... passing on to ncangler community who may want this....

At a 2nd hand store in Winston Salem, I saw this sailing canoe on Saturday, right before the store closed. They weren't open Sunday, so they still have it. PM me for details, want this to go to a NC Angler guy instead of someone trolling the web.

I can tell you little more than what I post here, other than the location.

- Approx 12' long. High rockers both ends. Sail in very good condition. Appears designed as a sailing vessel. Two dagger boards present in boat. Two wooden paddles present in boat. Two boat seats present. On a wheeled cart. I am not a sailor, but all rigging necessary appears to be present and in good condition.

It looks older, but in good shape, other than paint scratches. IMO, this is a big time bargain
. Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Wood Mast

I can not transport this easilly.... I have a small SUV. You will need a pickup or a trailer.

I CAN go and pay for it and they will hold it for your pick up for up to 48 hours. I want assurances that I will be re-imbursed, of course.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dang, I guess it isn't as big of a bargain as I thought.... I was sure someone would want this here.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I cant imagine a sail on a canoe, looks like they are so unstable it would flip in a second.. Still, its worth that money..

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I think with that rocker you'd be in a constant state of jibe or tack, even with a dagger board. With flotation fore and aft, it looks like it would be a good solo river boat with some whitewater capability.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all... I believe that you are correct about the sportspal/radisson.

I suspect this would be about as stable as a sunfish/snark 1 man sailboat. Not that I think they are stable, but they're just shallowround bottoms with a small dagger board as well.

Tempted to buy this and part it out.... The sailing rig should be sellable to a snark/hobie/sailfish guy for $50-75, and the boat hull and cart have to be worth 200-300.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Not a bad idea; it may be worth less than the sum of its parts because it wasn't a good boat for conversion. A sunfish/snark under sail would be way more stable than that; they are designed to plane in good wind.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If I were closer I would have already tried to buy it just for the canoe. Sell off the other stuff. I would start with a $100 bill noting it was too dangerous to use as a sailing vessel as a negative to bargain them down..

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Thanks all... I believe that you are correct about the sportspal/radisson.

I suspect this would be about as stable as a sunfish/snark 1 man sailboat. Not that I think they are stable, but they're just shallowround bottoms with a small dagger board as well.

Tempted to buy this and part it out.... The sailing rig should be sellable to a snark/hobie/sailfish guy for $50-75, and the boat hull and cart have to be worth 200-300.
I got tangled up in a Sunfish debacle. Fiberglass repairs and selling. One had the racing daggerboard, sail, and tiller.
Dude, I couldn't even afford a Bojangles bisquit after the dust settled on blow boats. I found out one thing. When it comes to small sailboats, nobody has any money. Finding someone that would give me 500 bucks for sunfish setups including registered galvanized trailers was an experience. I was determined not to lose money so they laid around for a year or more. I didn't lose but I sure didn't make either.....and they were nice looking boats and performed well.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I got tangled up in a Sunfish debacle. Fiberglass repairs and selling. One had the racing daggerboard, sail, and tiller.
Dude, I couldn't even afford a Bojangles bisquit after the dust settled on blow boats. I found out one thing. When it comes to small sailboats, nobody has any money. Finding someone that would give me 500 bucks for sunfish setups including registered galvanized trailers was an experience. I was determined not to lose money so they laid around for a year or more. I didn't lose but I sure didn't make either.....and they were nice looking boats and performed well.
Emphasis mine. This is so true, especially when it comes to used recreational boats. There is some money in class racers (technically speaking, Sunfish sort of are, but the serious guys want Lazers and similar boats). Speaking from experience, people who buy used small rec sailboats are trying to feed a sailing addiction with no budget.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Y'all have convinced me.... I'll leave it for another bargain shopper.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Emphasis mine. This is so true, especially when it comes to used recreational boats. There is some money in class racers (technically speaking, Sunfish sort of are, but the serious guys want Lazers and similar boats). Speaking from experience, people who buy used small rec sailboats are trying to feed a sailing addiction with no budget.
Most of my hits were from fathers of scouts. Kids had been to camp and learned to sail and the mother, father, or both wanted to get involved with it as well. Small boat aint big enough for ma and pa too.

I eventually did sell them to one person who bought them just to donate to a scout camp somewhere. Maybe somebody has enjoyed them.

Now bigLenr, if you come up with a 26-30 footer with a lead keel, move it and it's free deal. Sail on it literally. That ton of lead in the keel is worth some coin at the scrap yard. You can usually find those deals up on the big lakes like Kerr, Gaston, and Norman. Salvage the sails, mast, and rigging to sell to an amateur boat builder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.