NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new boat on Monday and am doing some fine tuning to the configuration.

My other half and I drove up to Harris Lake this morning to check out the Cross Point launch site. We just put the address in the GPS and it got us right there no problem.

With this going to be the first time I have ever launched a boat (or even owned one) I wanted to do a little recon to see what the area looked like. Probably comes from a career in the Army.

Anyway, it is a really nice site. Four launch positions and 125 trailer parking places. A couple of piers so the boat can be gotten out of the way while the truck and trailer is parked.

Looking forward...with some anticipation....of my first launch.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just take your time. Double check everything and you will be fine. One trick I always do for loading is to back the trailer down until almost all of the bunk carpet is wet then pull up to proper position. This will allow the boat to slide right up when you power load. Have fun!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Power loading is frowned upon by many. It doesn't take much more time or effort to winch most boats onto the trailer.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Crosspoint is pretty nice since it was renovated a year or two ago. Remember your life jackets and engine shut off (kill switch), they can safe your life. Also remember to tilt your motor enough before you trailer that the skeg and prop dont hit the ramp.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I always drive on, Good tip on pre-wetting the bunks though.

Dave replaced his bunks with a composite board that is super slick, the only worries with them is getting the boat to the water before you unhook the front.

Darrell

·
Registered
247 Posts
There may not be a massive movement, and I said many not most, but it isn't good for the ramps and I have seen signs prohibiting the practice at some ramps.
[video=youtube_share;Q31Wl7Ten5o]http://youtu.be/Q31Wl7Ten5o[/video]

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
This is going to sound too obvious but.........don't forget to put the drain plug in before you put it in the water!!
I usually give the bilge of my boat a good rinse a couple of times a year. :)

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
This is going to sound too obvious but.........don't forget to put the drain plug in before you put it in the water!!
I have been launching boats since I had a driver's license, and one day recently I got out of my routine and despite years of caution, I still tried to sink my boat this past season. Was fishing with Marc(308Holes) and at our first stop he informed me in a calm tone "Hey, you're taking on some water back here." I figured it was just some stray drops of water but I looked back to see water flowing in through the self-bailing ports in the stern of my center console. :eek: Realized that I had not put the plug in, and the worst part is that I knew where it was... in the trunk of my SUV. Fortunately the battery in the bilge was not totally submerged and the engine started up so I could get the boat moving. Never seen that old girl take so long to plane up as that day, she was soooo rear-heavy with water.

Ended up having to beach it to keep it from sinking while I ran up to the car to get the plug, and then I had to hop in the water and got all wet... this was Spring and it happened to be a cool day, and of course I didn't have a spare set of clothes... so anyway...

Yeah, don't forget to put the plug in. ;)

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
There may not be a massive movement, and I said many not most, but it isn't good for the ramps and I have seen signs prohibiting the practice at some ramps
I always trim my engine so that it's facing parallel to the water surface rather than parallel to the ramp surface... never had a specific reason just seemed like it was better to not kick up a lot of sediment for others. I have never encountered anyone who had a problem with using the engine to push the boat onto the trailer. I do it because I have a heavy boat and I don't want to put quite that much strain on the hook eye in the bow. I never even knew anyone objected till this post. Maybe an area-specific concern? Maybe I'm ignorant of a concern many share? Dunno about that one.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Not a problem out our way Sam. I did see a sign at a landing on the Neuse that ask for boater to hit the trailer fast enough to make it on the trailer without the need for blowing out the back of the landing, but it was a short ramp.

Darrell

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Interesting about the power loading; I never knew that either. I guess at fixed pool lakes or at low tide at the coast the end of the ramp might be pretty close. At lakes that rise and fall a lot, there is usually plenty of extra ramp. By a lot, I mean several yards at least; way, way past any effect from the prop would be felt.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It hollows out a big hole at the end of the ramp and the dirt under the end of the ramp gets washed out causing the concrete to collapse. I've never saw any signs but I can see where it could be an issue. I have heard that in some areas you can't power load at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.