NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to plan a flyfishing trip for my brother, his brother in law, and myself. I am thinking the cherokee area. I've not been fishing anywhere in NC so any tips on where to fish is great. It looks like the trip will be early to mid april. From the research I've done our best bet is to fish the tribal waters as they stock very frequently and have decent fish.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Deep Creek just outside of Bryson City also has some good fishing as does Bradley Creek which is just north of Cherokee. Both are on the National Park and are wild trout so they aren't as large but are still a lot of fun. Connely Creek is near Bryson and is stocked by the wildlife commision but I have never fished there personally and the Nanthahala River is only a couple hours away which is some of the best trout fishing around.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Both methods will work though spin casting is probably the most common method. I have only fly fished here myself since I can't bring my self to through a spinner or anything else into a perfectly good trout stream that isn't attached to a 4 weight fly line.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well the ocnaluftee river which is the main river running through cherokee would be a good place to get them started. It is fairly open and the casting is easy so the new fly fishers won't get discouraged from hanging up in the brush while learning. During the summer the float tubbers have it wrapped up but you shouldn't have that problem in april.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is great to hear. I have 2 Cortland 4/5 Combo's on order. I'll bring those with us and my spin caster's little 4'6" ultralights 1/32 oz. Is there any decent hatches during april or is primarily going to be a nymphing time?

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you have a few warm days there will be some good hatches starting. I have the most luck with blue wing olives, lt. cahills and adams from april through fall. Nymphs work well especially for brown trout that mostly stay near the bottom but are the largest trout in these steams. Check out flyfishingnc.com they have some great info on these waters and also a hatch and entomology chart.

·
Registered
444 Posts
12 inches is a big fish in wild trout waters they are more in the 6 - 9 range not to say there aren't larger ones out there. In the hatchery supported waters they are some larger than 12.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so the guide I had originally talked to stretched the truth a bit by telling me that most of the fish we would come across would be in the 10-15 inch range. That is alright though I prefer the 8-10 inch fish they taste better and they are a little dumber (easier to catch)

·
Registered
444 Posts
On the reservation they may be in that size range since they are hatchery supported but I can't say for sure never have fished the reservation myself. To much good fishing elsewhere without paying extra to fish. I wouldn't say the small ones are easy; up on the national park they can be might skidish since they are wild.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
so the guide I had originally talked to stretched the truth a bit by telling me that most of the fish we would come across would be in the 10-15 inch range. That is alright though I prefer the 8-10 inch fish they taste better and they are a little dumber (easier to catch)
There are some nice delayed harvest waters in that area. 12-15" is not uncommon. I have caught several 19-20"+ in these waters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like you may be there at about the same time As me and my son. The reservation is definitely not the plact to go if you're fly fishing. Most of the fishermen there use bait or spinners. They stock often because the fish are caught almost as soon as they're released. Try any of the streams in the Park, the Tuckasegee River, or the Nantahala River above the power plant if we get some rain. We need the water bad.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The tribal waters may be a good choice for flyfishing, especially during the week. Talk to the people at one of the sports stores there (where you can get your license). They can tell you where they actually release the fish on a given day. The fish are often very receptive to a fly so you can get some good positive feedback for your efforts. The stream is fun to wade. There are also some smallmouth bass in there that will also take a fly. The tuckasegee is also a great choice for a delayed harvest river. Be aware of the dam release schedule however as the water can come up quickly.
Regards,
Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.