NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here. Inshore spinning rod, M or ML blank 7.2ft. Which grip would you choose? Split grip? solid grip? Eva, Carbon Fiber, Cork? I need to balance price and use.

I figure cork isn't as durable as eva, or at least the same, and eva, not as durable as carbon fiber. Using the rod for trout and occasionally flounder and of course it will get nailed by reds and striper from time to time but comparing, need, quality and cost what should I do ??? I've never fished with a split grip either.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will ride a lot in the holder so I was worried about that. I have no other rod storage on board.
My preference is cork if it's a rod I'm not going to put in a rod holder.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Para cord. It comfy, cheap, as durable as a grip can get, best way to go IMO I've built a few with it and love them. Here's a flounder rod I'm doing now. It's a re wrap so I was worried much about looks and it's for me so excuse the ugliness hahah.

Reactions: ChltBnks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to have one built by Carolina Custom Rods if I can decide what I want/need/can afford.. This will be a first for me.. My rods usually came from the "clearance" racks and yard sales but I am ready for a treat ..

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I would jump on the carbon fiber grip with a hard foam core

If you do Paracord then I reccomend Cork tape with Paracord over it. Be sure that your builder removes the nylon core from the Paracord so it lays flat and soft.

Paracord is comfy, good looking, and easilly replaceable if damaged

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
No need for the cork tape or removing the inside of the para cord of you ask me.

My anchor rod and other flounder have paracord grips too. I just wrap it on and super glue the ends to the blank or 5 min epoxy or rod finish.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If you are going to spring for a custom rod have the grips MADE to fit the hand holding it.
Too many people view thread work or rod art as being what a custom rod is all about.
Anybody can assemble shelf parts and hand you something not much greater than what you can pull off a shelf.

My personal preference is rat rod style not the glitz and glamour.
Put the money in the fitment and quality components. Let him keep his art for the guy that doesn't know any better.

If the guy is not set up to turn custom grips and can turn custom grips go somewhere else.

It's like the difference between an Orange County chopper and a custom chopper. One is assembling parts, and the other is a true one off built to fit the customer.
Same way with boats. You can go buy a molded yak and get what they offer, or have it custom built to suit your needs and wants.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
There is plenty of people that can build a rod. It's not that difficult.

I used to know a lot of people in the business when I was building but that been so long ago I've lost track of them. A fair number of them are dead by now.
I've got Polaroids Tom Kirkman mailed me in the 80's of tartan wraps on tuna rods. That's where my 12' Renzetti rod lathe came from. We didn't have email back then. It was back and forth through the postman or phone calls. Everybody swapped Polaroids through the mail.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been in business for 7 years building custom rods. Some of you may know me and some have seen my rods I build my own grips to fit each angler, I can do fancy decorative wraps which I do not push. I am trying to make a living at this craft which isnt easy. I have recently moved to New Bern because my mother in law is having medical problems . I could not let her be put in a nursing home for her last years as she has been there for me and my wife when we needed help. Anyone that has questions about my ability as a custom rod builder should get in touch with me and I can show you some of my work or ask people like NCpierman Drew Haerer Froggy Waters Guffy George Beckwith. I am not a sponser on NC Angler so I will not be posting about Carolina Custom Rods until I am. I am a supporter of How, Moose Heart Orphanage , Schoolhouse of Wonder and several others that I have give free rods too. I sponser Explore Inshore and have many on my Pro Staff that post on NC Angler. I also know Tom Kirkman and speak with him when I need help on stuff. Steve Gardner taught me how to do the Spiral Wrap correctly , Steve also developed the micro guide technology. I have developed a line of rods with the help of American Tackle Company which I am trying to get out this fall.
I use the same rod blanks as Mike Pederson and I am a personal friend of his, known Mike and Vicki for years.
If you would like to see my work check my web site out on the web or Facebook

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
When I am fishing I cant tell alot of difference in grips, I easily adapt I guess. I have a mix of cork full grip and split grip. I also have a JB rod that I won in a tournament that has some kind of hard plasticized grip and no fore grip. I have seen his rods for years with that slick grip and always thought I wouldnt like it, I cant tell much difference once I pick it up and make a cast or two.

I would think using rod holders alot you would probably want a full length grip, but then again alot of surf fishing rods are essentially split grip.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If it's a rod I'm constantly casting like bass or flounder fishing I can easily tell the difference especially when they are too small. You wind up with finger cramping.
If it's a bottom fishing outfit like surf fishing it doesn't matter much to me. You aren't casting it enough to matter.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I've done grips with Paracord with the core in and removed. Removing the core just makes it a lot more comfortable. I leave the core in on my pier rods though because I think it holds up to damage a bit better with the core in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts