NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather looked perfect for an offshore adventure today so I called my fishing daughter up with hopes of putting her on her first mahi. There had been several reports over the last week that some were being caught within the range of my boat. So off we went at 6:30 am heading to AR362, about 11.5miles out. There was some bait around the area but nothing feeding. Stayed a little over an hour and then decided to just troll around different areas. It was dead to say the least out there so time for a short prayer. Lord PLEASE let us get at least one fish I asked. So here we are doing our trolling thing back toward the beach over a barren bottom, no bait, no nothing when all of a sudden the downrigger line gets hit. Finally I said but no sooner I got the words out of my mouth there was no line going out. He missed the hooks I thought as Christina reeled in a slack line. I look out and there is a Mahi jumping but he's not on the line as that line was broken off, rig and bait gone. Then the starboard longline goes off and I see a mahi jumping. Could it be we had gotten into a school of them? Well Christina reels him in and he gets close to the boat and off he goes on another run blistering her thumb as she puts some pressure on him. Took about 10 minutes but finally I sink the gaff to him as I got warned I better not let him get away. So in the boat he comes and I have one excited daughter. Come to find out he had the downrigger bait in his mouth as well so that was an added blessing getting my rig back. Ended up it wasn't a school after all but one lonely fish that I had prayed the Lord would let us catch. A great day on the water!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Great job! Glad you found one for her! I bet she was really stoked about her first Mahi.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Nice work Christina. Two great pictures. The top picture of the dolphin in the water is one of the coolest fish pictures I've ever seen. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts