NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Chug-n-spook to give it a try. I'm wondering if folks use these for red drum?
I also made a mistake and bought three super spook in chartreuse. I thought I was getting spook jrs. Anyway this plug, for anyone that doesn't know, is about an inch longer. It's also heavier which doesn't really bother me. We I don't like is that it has three hooks. I'm removing the middle hook but thought I'd get some opinions about the third hook. I have other super spook models that only have to hooks?
Thanks

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I fish the super spook with 3 hooks and the majority of my hookups are on the middle hook. Usually either the front or back treble will be hooked up as well but the middle hook is almost always the main hook caught in the thick part of the mouth. That doesn't mean a different hook wouldn't take that role if you removed the middle hook but I myself would be hesitant to remove it. If you do remove it, let us know if it affects your hookup ratio!

I just bought a chugnplug 2 days ago- that same 1 you have pictured and am interested to hear opinions from anyone whose used them. Haven't tried mine yet.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well removing the middle hook has not changed my hook up ratio. That's because I've yet to catch a single fish this week.
Over all I don't like the super spooks. They are heavier than I'd like. My rid isn't efficient throwing these and actually throws the Spook Jr farther. Same for the chug spook. Also the chug is nearly impossible to use with the clips I use so I had to muck around and add another clip to it. It's too heavy for my liking but it does create a really nice splashing as it is walked back.
Another big mistake was purchasing a "wounded spook". Two little propellers in the front and rear. I don't know what I was thinking. I'll probably remove the propellers and make it a regular plug.
Fishing has been really great for me this week. Catching, well, not so much. Really windy this PM and I didn't see so much as a sniff on my baits.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10-4 that. I wasn't going to change the hooks until I decided I like this plug. I don't so it's going in the bin.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'd leave the wounded spook as is. Sometimes a subtle prop bait will seal the deal when fish are reluctant to hit a standard walk the dog retrieve. A prop bait wouldn't be my first choice of topwaters, and probably not even in the top 10, but I've caught some big trout on prop baits when they wouldn't eat anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.