NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of the yakers ever hang a drip pipe or chum bag from your yak with menhayden oil? I was thinking of getting a drip pipe and gallon of menhayden oil and trying it at. check it out http://nccoastalfishing.com/>chumming technologies>chumming gear
I don't want to end up with fish oil all over my yak, but there must be away. We have to be very creative fishing from the yak.:D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Seems like it oughtta be easy enough to duct-tape to one of your outriggers, and just let the tube dangle in the water.. if you want it that close.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I know this is going to get a giggle, but seriously what if you used an enema bag suspended like an IV. Then you can cut the flow on and off as needed...and just put the bag up when not in use.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I think what I use on the boat will work fine on a yak too.

First: I use the menhaden milk (versus oil) - It has oil in it and other ingredients - you dilute it with some water - the regular oil stays on the surface creating a slick - the milk version penetrates the water column and thus has a wider drawing power.

Next: my high tech dispenser - I take an empty soda or water bottle, poke a hole in the lid with a knife or hole punch - thread the mono through, tie a knot and pull snug inside the lid. Fill the bottle, put the cap on, tie a loop knot on the other end of the mono (about 2 - 5 feet from the bottle depending on your boat height, etc) and secure to the back section of the boat. Poke a couple holes in the bottom or sides near the bottom of the bottle and toss overboard. Works great, cost virtually nothing!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great idea Dave. I need to figure out how to take it out to the fishin spots without making a mess in my boat. I may try a mesh net that makes a platgform that fits between my amas the ama braces and the yak. should be about 4x4 aprox. That way I can cary tools like a chum apparatus.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If you are in the ocean you will probably be wise to invest in a drift sock . TA's system will serve you well but you might want to save some unaltered caps Put the unaltered caps on in between uses. Transport upside down in your rod holders.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Anything that eats pogies is liable to show up but I have a sneaky suspicion we are getting ready to do some king fishing. As you probably know that can be done but you gotta have a gaff to keep them teeth away from you. (and a good plan) al

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I agree with TA about the Menhaden Milk. Voodoo Offshore also has a container that has a medical tubing and flow control system adapted to it. I use it when I go to the coast and have used the same system catfishing in the past. Menhaden Milk

Also, I have mixed Menhaden Milk with dogfood for a chum. My favorite chum is to cook some macroni in red food coloring until it just begins to get soft. Drain it goosd and put it a 3 gallon pail. An Hour or so before I use I put some Menhaden Milk in on it and mix it in good. You can put this in chum bags or just scatter it with a scoop or large spoon.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I gotta hand it to the people that milk the menhaden. That must be a very tough job. ;):p:eek:
LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::D:):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Skooteri, I don't think you've really thought about that one ...It couldn't be that hard cause I've handled a bunch of them and I haven't seen one that looked like it needed milking yet. Therefore it can't be any harder than catching a legal flounder. I know that can't be hard because otherwise there would be plenty left for us ...right? Kinda like spotting a buffalo that still has its wings...There are just so many other people out there trying to make a buck that you just don't run across them anymore. That's my story and I'm stuck with it! :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.