NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a beautiful day. Got off to a little late start today. We had about halfway planned to head out towards the Bay river today but were too tired to wake up with the alarm clock. Stayed in bed a couple of extra hours. That's ok though. Stayed in the Neuse river today. Good decision. I let Grant, my 15 year old, pick the place today. You might say that HE was the guide. At least that's what he's saying.

As we motored the F/V Minnow to one of our regular spots he decides to make a hard left shut the motor down and drop the trolling motor. On a spot that we typically drive right on by. Shortly, about the third cast, after stopping he gets a beautiful roll on the mirrolure. Pulls the rod back, fish on!, then just as quickly, fish OFF!, bummer. That's ok. We were pumped up after that. Fishing the bank about 20 minutes later, after giving my Bomber jerk bait a short pause, its stuck. I leaned back on the rod and it was ON! After several minutes of fight this BIG guy rolled up beside the boat. HOLY COW! Sam, my 12 year old, is handling the net or so it seems. This trout makes four passes by the net, running off a little more each time, I thought for sure this guy was a goner. Finally on the fifth pass Sam scoops up the prize. A beautiful speckle 26 inches, 5 pounds 9 ounces. My first citation! We need a bigger net.

Funny thing, we stayed in this area for a little while and caught some more very nice fish. Eventually making it to our original destination where we received absolutely zero bites. Ended up with 8 nice trout, none under 17 inches. Grant put 5 trout in the boat. Sam catches one trout and a nice largemouth. I add two trout to the mix, one is the citation, woot woot! A great day fishing!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great catch fellas, were you guys towards New Bern or the lower parts of the Neuse? Me and my partner are thinking about heading out to do a little Trout fishing towards Lawsons Creek on Saturday
Sorry blaze, not ready to give out info that specific yet. I will answer yes and yes. There were however lots of others fishing all around us. Suffice it to say that with a name like the F/V Minnow we never get too too far from the dock. Thanks for checking out my post. Stay after those fish and catch em up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great catch fellas, were you guys towards New Bern or the lower parts of the Neuse? Me and my partner are thinking about heading out to do a little Trout fishing towards Lawsons Creek on Saturday
hey blaze, leave my fish alone, you never liked trout anyway, besides I want the river all to myself. :D just messing man, this is Ramon. coming to town this Friday, hope to be at our "usual" spot on Saturday, god and weather permitting. Should be cold, but hope the fish are there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.