NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about a Flambeau tackle box I recently started using. I have it set up the way I like it now. It is a little larger and heavier than I'd like but I'll trim down the contents soon. I have to reach all the way back behind me to get it because I have to store it in the rear of my kayak. My problem is that it gets roasting hot from the sun beating down on it. I was out the other day and I had to grab a set of pliers and they were way too hot to hold. I had to drop them into some ice water to cool them. I experimented with some white spray paint on the top and this helped a lot. The paint peels right off though the which I figured it would so I can try some plastic paint?? Any other ideas? Would some decals work? The material is a polypropylene I'm pretty sure and this stuff is difficult to make things adhere to.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I've always used tackle bags on my yak, and didn't have that prob. The bag strap could be put over the seat back to secure it, and it was easy to me to get the handle, and just lift it. Not sure what kind of yak you have. I have an SOT.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fix all. Duct tape?
Maybe but I just checked my stock. I'm down to my last few cases and I don't want to waste any.
Seriously though the duct tape glue will break down in the sun and heat and make a huge mess. I have some plastic paint I will try. I was going to use it initially but then I read an article that plastic paint is just regular rattle can enamel with "plastic" on the label. Being a die hard skeptic I believed it. Better give it a try myself.
Thanks

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought about tin foil but the reflection of just the bare plastic seemed to find my eyes every time I looked back. Still may be worth looking into if the paint idea doesn't work out.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Paint is going to be the best fix. I've used the Fusion paint on battery boxes on boats and on spot repairs to the fiberglass with good results.

Reactions: challenger

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Maybe but I just checked my stock. I'm down to my last few cases and I don't want to waste any.
Seriously though the duct tape glue will break down in the sun and heat and make a huge mess. I have some plastic paint I will try. I was going to use it initially but then I read an article that plastic paint is just regular rattle can enamel with "plastic" on the label. Being a die hard skeptic I believed it. Better give it a try myself.
Thanks

Fusion or rustoleum x2 will work on plastic and they are different than regular spray paint. they will adhere to most plastic....I have sold both in my store and 1 (x2 or fusion ) is just as good as the other.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why not just a simple tackle bag? Where do you put everything else?

I use both a tackle bag or a crate depending on the situation, always stored in rear. In the bag tackle boxes are covered, in the crate its vertical so doesn't get sun beating down on it.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You'll have to shade the whole box to keep it from getting hot. Tackle Bag.
Doesn't matter what color you paint it or stick to it, it's going to get hot in the sun. It's a plastic box.

I got a wood boat upside down on sawhorses in direct sunlight. I could fry you an egg on it no problem. Shade it...you would either go hungry or be eating raw eggs.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In retrospect I should have gotten a tackle bag. I'll try out the paint and see if I can live with it until I get a bag. Live and learn I suppose. Too bad my living and learning curves are not linear. Seems like I've got a lot more learning to do than my living would suggest I should have.:p

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Im sure the wife could get you some cloth pretty cheap that would reflect the sun, light colors are better and spray glue or the like. Personally I hate tackle bags. Too much trouble to pull out the containers seems like double work. I too have to reach in back to get something wish there was a built in tackle box (like my ram boxes on truck) in the yak *hint*

1 - 20 of 29 Posts