NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Falls Lake's Ramps are all still open. At Rolling View, we only have 1/3 of the floating portion still in the water.

Along these lines, due to staff shortages, Rolling View Rec. Area (Including the boat ramp and campground) will most likely close sometime in the very near future. We have 3 ranger positions, with one currently vacant, one about to go on paternity leave, and the 3rd waiting on a possible promotion to another area of Falls Lake. If all these things occur, the park will be left with no Law Enforcement personnel and we will have to close it down.

However, even if ramps do end up closing down, There are still plenty of areas where anyone with a canoe or kayak can still port their canoes in.

Also, I've never heard of the WRC closing their ramps, either for extremely high or low water.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just curious.. what are the total requirements to become a park ranger?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Your right Al, water levels on local lakes have kept me away (Harris and Jordan).. Took the boat back to the broker since I'd rather not want to chance it. Might drag it back and do another coast run Labor day weekend...

Good idea though for folks to post up conditions ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just curious.. what are the total requirements to become a park ranger?
Must have a 2 yr degree in any natural science (4 yr preferred), some park related experience (though it is not required with a 4 yr degree), a clean criminal history and a fairly clean driving record.

There are new requirements now that state you only need a H.S. degree, but that will only get you eligible for an interview. You must have a college degree to be seriously considered.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
what's up Sundrop, did a ranger upset you?:confused:
No, No, I just wondered how much education and special training was involved... I didnt know if everyone wearing the uniform really had special training and such..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing I have been doing is taking a map, I then mark all the under water things that come up. not to avoid them but so I can go back and fish them:rolleyes: like I found a tree field that I never know was there.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Rangering wouldnt work for me. Wife is doing what she loves..(Lucky *%& ) . But I'm am looking for a career change, thanks to my busted back...:(

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm always looking for a career change. I just haven't figured out how to make fishing pay the mortgage yet.
As for closed ramps, Hidden Cove on Lake James is closed. The rest of them are open for now but if they keep pumping, who knows for how long.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ramps are looking good around here.. City Launch by Washington Park and Clark's Neck on Tranters creek looks good. The wind has kept the water blown upriver so it has actually been high a few days...

Reactions: bouldertoad
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.