NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Johnston county right near 40 and am itching to go fishing Thursday from first light till afternoon but I have to be home by three. Normally fish topsail but I wonder if there are closer places to cast mullet for flounder and drum from the bank? Caught a fifteen inch flounder yesterday in the two hours I fished the sound and I'd love .tp try again.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Google Earth is your friend. Bring it up and see your routes and how long it will take to get to several locations. That way as time allows you can head out and still be in your time frame.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just dont know where to look? How far inland flounder go? Where I can bankfish etc. I'm open for anywhere new bern jacksonville etc

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
the biggest problem is bank fishing. Getting real hard to find decent spots anywhere. Nothing around Washington worth the ride.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's probably why I have had trouble finding spots on my own. Its looking like topsail for me again

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far I've narrowed it down to going to snows cut/carolina beach or going by morris landing and then going to one of my normal topsail fishing spots if it doesn't pan out.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
New Bern is not a bad drive for you. Can not help on bank spots, but if you can get access to a kayak it is a great area.

Reactions: RouseD and Swampin'

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Carolina Beach SP has some fishing opportunities. There is a parking lot with a marina, some bank fishing there, supposedly a nice trough right where the boats come out of the marina that hold flounder (but is usually being fished by regulars). Grassy areas to right of marina you can walk to with dry feet. Or you can follow one of the paths from the marina to Snow's cut, and try to avoid the 6 million snags there in search of doormat sized flounder which Snow's cut is famous for... It's a high risk/ high reward fishing situation there.... You may catch nothing, you may catch the flounder of your life, and you will probably lose a lot of tackle.

Reactions: RouseD and Swampin'

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Given that you are going part of a single day, I would go to the spot you know. Odds are you will be wetting a line sooner in a spot you know will produce. If you do go to CBSP, I would leave a little earlier to try get past Wilmington before school traffic is on the road. IME, unless you hit light traffic the last few miles from the first traffic light where 40 ends to Snows Cut can be agonizingly slow going.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So far I've narrowed it down to going to snows cut/carolina beach or going by morris landing and then going to one of my normal topsail fishing spots if it doesn't pan out.
The wildlife boat access at Snow's Cut has a nice pier and rock wall for public fishing access. I have seen everything caught at this access from the bank or pier. Saw a gal fishng with live shrimp there catch some nice size trout and other species. Also on the other side of the Cut under the bridge is a small public park directly under the bridge. It's past Carolina Family Campground at end of the road. Fish under the bride or follow the paths up and down the bank. I would target flounder in and around the bridge area. A multifishing license is a must too, wildlife officers patrol this area often.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Have you been to Morris Landing lately? To the LEFT under the dock for the Oyster recycling is posted and off limits so no access there. To the RIGHT you have to walk quite a ways now because the Marine Fisheries set out Oyster reefs all along the shoreline so access there is limited to that shallow bay. I was just there this past weekend

1 - 20 of 40 Posts