NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the smallie pics that rotate through the gallery on the home page has me wanting to get into some of that action. And with the recent heat, standing knee deep in a shaded stream/river sounds pretty good. Is there anywhere you can get to from Raleigh that doesn't require a 3 hour drive/hotel stay but still gives a solid chance at catching a smallmouth?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Jeff,
I would suspect that a trip north to Person, Caswell, or one of those counties boarding Virginia and the Eno River might be a place that you could try. Certainly worth a try. Just go as far west as you feel you can allow. Usually, Smallies like cold water, rapids, deep pools, and rock ledges to get under. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Jeff,

You can go to the Uwharrie River in the Uwharrie National Forest approximately 1/2-2 hours south west of here or you might try Philpot Lake near Martinsville, VA; also about the same distance. Philpot use to produce Smallmouth but I don't know what that fishery is like now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fish kills on the Uwharrie have pretty much decimated the former smallmouth bass fishery there. Still a few, but the very low water and low flow means it is suseptable to this every so often. Fishing there the past two years has not been good. Lots of "suds" on the water and fish carcasses. This summer has been really tough with the low water.

We have switched to the Dan River for smallmouth. A bit muddy at times but mostly clear this year. It's not that far from you really. A couple hours I guess? Very underfished and you don't normally see another angler during the week. There are some canoe people on nice weekends. No major rapids so fish the deadfall and just below each shoal. We really like it and have been doing better and better now that we've got it figured out a little.

The Stauton river in VA is almost directly above you. The BEST smallmouth river in either NC or VA. Long distances between access points keeps most people off the water. But you can drop in a canoe or kayak and paddle and fish either a mile up or a mile down and really get in on some great action. Best **** smallmouth river you'll find anywhere around here. But access is limited. This is probably why its so good.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
contrary to what was stated in an earlier post,the smallmouth in the uwharrie are doing well.we made several trips down there last year and always caught several fish,some over 3 lbs and a couple over 4.i believe they may go into the deep holes near lake tillery during times of low water,but we saw no evidence of a fish kill at any time we were there.our last trip was in october,and we caught thirteen smallies and a couple of largemouths.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jerry, do you happen to know how many are being put back? There's no problem with people fishing but when the prussure is increased as high as it was and you have quite a few people taking anything from 5" up it will quickly decimate a smallmouth population in the Uhwarrie.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jerry,
That's very good news. When I went last, about 4 years ago, access to the lower part of the river on private land was restricted by posted signs. Wondering if this new limitation took some fishing pressure off the river.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
ya'll are welcome!everyone i fish with release every fish we catch.i'm sure there are some knuckleheads out there that don't realize how fragile the uwharrie smallie fishery is,but i feel confident most people do,so the population there has remained fairly stable. we always manage to catch several,and like i said,many are really nice fish.also,we catch most of them on a yamamoto cut tail worm,camo or red shad,fished split shot rigged.also,the river has a good population of roanoke bass,which are first cousins to the rock bass found in the mountain rivers.these fish can grow up to a pound and will hit the split shot rig as well.they are a lot of to catch,too.real strong fighters for a sunfish.i have caught them up to a pound and a half down there.
give the uwharrie a shot,you won't be sorry...................
jerry

·
Registered
27 Posts
the fishing pressure on the U has been growing for the last 10 years , 20-25 years ago you never saw anybody on a float then about 15 years ago you would see a truck at a putin or take out so you just drove to a couple till you found an empty one and launch and still have solitude , but now if you go there are always several at each launch and you will see a few people with fish on a stringer . the 50 bass days of yesteryear are down to 10 bass days now on the U , still several streams that have less access in the foothills of NC or VA that have pretty good fishing , the mountain streams in NC & VA get alot more pressure now also and the # of fish caught in those have dropped some as well . for a change and to get that wilderness experience try roanoke bass fishing , they are in a few piedmont steams and readily attack lures , they dont jump like a bronze beauty but they are a bulldog for there size which is 1-2 lb's and are mixed with LM bass

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
hey guys
thats what i'm saying.people that go there need to be responisible and release the fish!but i guess you can't reach everybody.we did have a couple of thirty plus days on the uwharrie last year,however.
jerry

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.