NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The plates are usually installed by the boat manufacturer when the boat is built. So unless you built the boat yourself, I'd go back to the manufacture of the boat to obtain a new one. If you built the boat yourself, you will need to contact the Coast Guard because the rules are somewhat complex and it depends on when the boat was built and other factors like how much and what type flotation was used. The Coast Guard doesn't regulate capacity ratings by state so it won't matter where you live from their point of view.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Anything over 21 ft isnt required a Capacity Plate (per the USCG)

Anything less and you dont have a USCG capac plate, like Mike said, you'll more than likely have to get with the manufacturer for your vessel.

Good luck!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nothing on mine, it's a 1977.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Is the capacity enforceable by Wildlife? If my pontoon capacity plate states 7 people or 945 lbs, would I get a ticket if I had 8 people on it? Or over the 945 lbs? Thanks
I believe they can. I know they enforce the jet ski capacity. I wouldn't see why they wouldn't enforce it for boats as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to let everyone know, I called the enforcement section of the NC Wildlife today to ask the question of being able to enforce the capacity plate. I was advised that no, they did not enforce that, it would up to the Coast Guard to do that. I know how you get such erronous information from the Wildlife at times, it seems like you get a different answer every time you call. And I don't expect to haul 20 people when the capacity is 7. I wanted to know just in case we were maybe one person over or slightly over the weight limit.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I believe it's the same for the Coast Guard Auxilary, though they "suggest" they cant cite.

On the USCG data plate, the way it's understood is the weight and HP rating are "safe" operating limits that have been pre-determined.
So if a boat is rated for say,, Max HP rating of 300 or 595 lbs for the motor rating then that is what the transom can safetly carry/handle (also determined by the manufacturer).

Example - you can have a single 300 HP motor, but if it's 596 or more lbs.. then it's a no go as it would be too heavy for the transom. You could put twin 150's, twin 115's, twin 130's as long as they're combined weight is under the weight limit.

The gear/people rating is just that, safe carrying capacity of the hull. If I'm not mistaken (and I'll try to find the resource to back up the info here), is it's a combined weight on that rating as well. You can have a combined total of either (in poppop's example) 8 person's OR 945 lbs gear/people total/combined.

So if you have Me, Zook, Drop and Mike plus gear we'd fish for a day... we'd be awfully close if not over on that USCG rating plate for that vessel.. and that's not even puttin a fish in the boat or having near the max passenger rating.... :eek::( (I'm not gonna even try to guestimate that weight rating!!! ha ha haha... -- sorry guys, didnt mean to throw ya under the bus.. ;) )

Another example - (I'll use Junkies significant other) if there were 8 girls like his wife (weighing in at a 101 lbs each), then they wouldnt bust the weight rating or passenger rating... the boat could safetly be operated with 8 girls totalling 808 lb's with a decent sized cooler of "beverages" :)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
here's some links: (remember no boat over 20 ft is required a USCG capacity plate) ;)
When you get in the 26 ft range, you get into "yacht certified", so if you can seat 35 folks on your 35 ft'r, then you can carry 34 passengers and a Capt.

Here's a good link:

www.ntsb.gov/events/symp_vessels/MS-PP/NASBLA Model Act.ppt

Some other helpfull links:

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/ReviewPages/BoatUSF/PDF_files/section1.pdf

All about Capacity Plates

http://www.uscg.mil/d1/units/actny/pandc/comdtpub16761_3bStd4BackydBoatBldrs.pdf

http://www.usbr.gov/ssle/safety/RSHS/sec28.pdf (para 28.1.3)

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I've never had the DMF or NC Wildlife look at the capacity plate on the boat. But that doesn't mean the next guy won't look. I think it is a guideline to help you keep from overloading max carring capacity on the boat and staying SAFE....:)

When you contact the manufacture of the boat have your model number and serial number of the boat handy. That way you are getting the correct information...most boat numbers are on the back right hand side and on the top or middle of the boat...

<*)))))>{

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.