NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I am new to this forum and have fished exclusively along the coast. We are planning a family camping trip to Julian Price Park and I was wondering about the fishing there. I truly have no clue what to expect or what tackle to take or if it is even worth fishing. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Steve Hudson
Wilmington, NC

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If you fish in the Julian Price Lake or surrounding creeks you will need a trout stamp added to your fishing license. Gear-something around 6' light to medium action 4lb to 6lb line. Bass Lake and Trout Lake are nearby. Canoes are available for rent at Price Lake. Live bait such as nightcrawlers or corn. Spinners-Panther Martin, Rooster Tail, Joe's Flies. Hooks, sinkers, and bobbers. Julian Price Lake is hatchery supported. Check NC regulations on limits(read posted signs). Is it worth fishing? YES. Shout back for any more info. This area is my slice of NC. Oh yeah, local favorite for bbq and hot wings-Woodlands in Blowing Rock.

·
Registered
205 Posts
if I'm not mistaken, they have boat rentals also. fished it years ago from a canoe. it's a nice place to float around with the family. they usually stock it heavy around holidays, but be careful about fishing below the spillway, it is special regulation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the help. From the sounds of it I will be sure to haul my gear! Does anyone know for certain if you need a trout stamp on the lake? From what I was reading it sounded like you only needed a stamp if you were fishing below the Price Dam or in other nearby waters. It sounded like you only needed a NC (or Va) license if you were fishing on Price Lake.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You're right about the Parkway waters. Take note of signs on any of the creeks. While in the area there are many nearby creeks that offer some excellent trout fishing. Everything from wild, catch and release trophy waters, delayed harvest(Hwy 105 out of Boone), and hatchery supported. You will need a trout stamp for these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like I will go ahead and get a stamp. Starting to get excited about this trip. I have never caught a fresh water trout and am hoping this will be the place to do it. Do the same regulations pertain to youth fishing out there as it does here? My son is 8 so I assume he will not need a license or a stamp when fishing out there.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Shelben said:
Sounds like I will go ahead and get a stamp. Starting to get excited about this trip. I have never caught a fresh water trout and am hoping this will be the place to do it. Do the same regulations pertain to youth fishing out there as it does here? My son is 8 so I assume he will not need a license or a stamp when fishing out there.
License won't be required as long as he's accompanied with you and you're valid. Feel free to ask any questions. There's lots to do around Boone and Blowing rock for the outdoorsman or just hangin' out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.