NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lefty and I have been trying to plan a coastal trip for tomorrow. This trip has been on life support since mid-last week trying to hold off my calendar gremlins and the battle probably won't be over until we're well on the road and beyond the point of no return in the morning.

Flipping a coin between Bath where neither of us have ever been and something like Scotts Hill where I had some success in the spring and Lefty wants to check out. Anybody got a good basis to help choose between the two - active fish, tides, etc...? Other similar (2.5 hour) trips from Raleigh could be considered too.

I'm still looking for my first striper, which gives Bath a bit of a nudge. But we really just want to get out of cubicle-world and catch a few gulp and redfish magic-eating salty critters... reds, trout, flounder, blues, stripers, spanish, whatever.

As always, if anybody's free and willing to deal with our flexible scheduling, you're welcome to come along or meet us wherever we happen to land.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Bath looks like winds kick up in afternoon. Scotts Hill- what water do you fish? ICW or a river?

Anyways, color me jealous- my calendar was clear this morning, but has filled up.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scotts Hill- what water do you fish? ICW or a river?
There's a cut just to the south of the marina that heads out toward the inlet - it has a name, but I've forgotten it... Several tidal creeks in the island there within a mile paddle. Also a creek/river heading inland south of that - haven't tried it, but easily reachable by paddle (more easy with the tide, I suppose). Downside is $12 to park & launch but you can't beat it for convenience from Raleigh. 40->17bypass->scotts hill loop rd. Downhill all the way and no stoplights!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
There's a cut just to the south of the marina that heads out toward the inlet - it has a name, but I've forgotten it... Several tidal creeks in the island there within a mile paddle. Also a creek/river heading inland south of that - haven't tried it, but easily reachable by paddle (more easy with the tide, I suppose). Downside is $12 to park & launch but you can't beat it for convenience from Raleigh. 40->17bypass->scotts hill loop rd. Downhill all the way and no stoplights!

The channel that heads to Rich's inlet that is south of Scott's Hill is called Nixon channel. The one about the same distance north that also leads to Rich's Inlet is called Green Channel.

I believe the creek you speak of is Futch creek (it is the first one south of the Marina but is actually before Nixon Channel). A little further south just past the Figure Eight bridge is Pages creek. Lefty has been on that one with me (in my boat).

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
If you decide to come down this way, give me a buzz - I might be able to help you with a place to launch and save you some money. Only problem is that I didn't get to fish this past week-end so I have no idea where the fish are chewing right now after the rains and the shift in wind direction. Well I do have an idea or two just not confirmation ............LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.