NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(This report follows the Fishing Connection thread of the same title...)

Had six boats out today at Fort Fisher -- lefty, scooteri, straps57, ncmalibuex, druminator, and drum's dad. Windy, but at least under our cool-wx gear, not too chilly. (Speaking for myself, I guess...) Quite a few specks, quite a few drum, but no flounder, so no slams... We went quite a ways down the jetty below Zeke's Island, and worked our way back up with the incoming tide.

Mark got a speck to start us off...

Several folks found specks along the jetty. After gathering several, we stopped at, um, an "oyster bar" to stretch our legs and refuel.

Of course, a little air cover is always welcome, right Jeff?

After a few minutes, Scott noticed a school of puppy-sized drum wandering by.

Scott even helped himself to seconds.

While all our attention was on that end of the point, Straps noticed that the rising tide had caught up with Mark's Malibu. Fortunately, two accurate casts and he and Mark both got a new "biggest catch" record.

On the way back up, we stopped at Cribbins. Drum's dad and Mark were catching trout one after the other, just letting the wind drift them along the grass line. After what seemed like a dozen laps, I finally scored a foot-long to lose my skunk for the day...

Don't know about the other guys, but I'm bushed.
See y'all tomorrow
Lefty

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Looks like a bunch of worn out, wind burned, happy faces!! Glad it worked out for you!!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johnny commented on the "Connection" thread that the basin looked "smooth as glass" around 10:30 -- wow, you must have been looking at a postcard. We never saw anything remotely resembling glass. The wind was where we were the entire day. Closest we got was that Mark found a spot where the wind was blowing left at the same rate that the current was blowing right, so he was sitting still. I thought he was anchored -- I was planning on drifting away from him, but I just sat there too!

·
Registered
962 Posts
It was a good time. Wind was bothersome- my face is still feeling warm and windburnt. Good to meet Shawn.

My final tally- 3 reds on that bar, and one broke off- all 13-17 inches. . 3 specks 12-13 inches.

Best line of the day- as Ashley's dad pulls up to the oysterbar:"Oh loook- here comes the Gorton's fisherman" :p

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
What's with these wives guys?? Don't you know the trick is to annoy the Heck out of em all week so they will throw you out just for some peace by Saturday???

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some gulp, some mirrolures... My speck hit one of Luremaker's spinnerbaits with an Electric Chicken Bass Assassin. They didn't seem to be picky on colors for the soft baits at least....

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Jeff, dont know if this helps, but in my area, new penny, electric chicken, Gulp 3" shrimp under a popper bobber and Mirrolures in just about anything with an orange belly in the suspending and sinking models with rattles has been the hot ticket. make sure you use a clear mono leader at least 12" long as trout are very line wary......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.