NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm already getting spring fever, I'd like to ask the experts from this site to share their cobia-fishing tips. Yes, I've read the articles in the various magazines, but now I'd love to hear how you folks who have done it REALLY fish for these bruisers. Live bait? Cut bait? Rigs? Line? Type of bait? Where? When? Tidal/lunar phases?? Etc., etc. I'm planning to try it this spring/summer, and I'd like to get a jump on the particulars. And thanks in advance to anybody who can share their pointers!!! :)

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hi Litetakl. I'm interested in learning more about Cobia fishing too. I emailed one of our members at FinnagleFishing.com, and got these tips:

Most Cobia are caught around the inlet on the tideline change or temp change.Also keep an eye out for a swimming turtle or stingray.The Cobia like to swim with these guys.The best time here is mid-May and June when they move north & late August when they head back south.

This is one of three that was swimming with a turtle.It was in the 50lb plus range caught casting a bucktail on a baitcasting rod.It was a 30 minute fight.
(picture attached)

Maybe some other experienced Cobia fishermen can join in and add more information and tips for us. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out www.customsoundcharters.com Captain Caton really knows how to get the Cobia.

Just try any where down around Morehead, Beaufort, Cape Lookout where there is deep water. anchor up and chum em in. Though be ready to catch alot of sharks, rays and those pesky turtles.

p.s. Don't EVER bring a green cobia into the boat......beat the ever living crap out of it first and ensure it is tired They don't come to the boat to see what caught them, they come to the boat to see what they caught.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts