NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My large cooler died this year. I bought it at a yardsale for 10 bucks and it served me well. I have a yeti 65 that I love for inshore fishing, but Mr. Cobia won't fit very well. Is it possible to get a cobia into a fish bag? If not, what is the minimum size cooler you recommend? Like I said I have a yeti that I use for every other application, so I don't want to spend a ton of money either way.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I think a cobia would shred a fish bag esp if it wasn't dead when you put it in. Check Craigslist and make some offers. Most people are eager to get rid of something as big as a 6 foot cooler.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You can get fish bags in numerous sizes and quality levels. Search around and there are some good deals to be had. I bought one since I don't have room under my leaning post for anything bigger than a 72 quart cooler. Like PD said, a couple of whacks on the melon with a mallet and there are no worries about putting any fish in a fish bag.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I read a funny thread about spritzing fish in the gills with hard liquor. Apparently it subdues a lot of fish and the thread I read about it on was about kayak fishing for Kings. The funny post was someone mentioning it doesn't work as well on cobia; turns out they are mean drunks. Guy said the fish went ballistic. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
"I read a funny thread about spritzing fish in the gills with hard liquor. ....someone mentioning it doesn't work as well on cobia; turns out they are mean drunks. Guy said the fish went ballistic. :D"

Probably using the cheap stuff, I'd get mad too if someone splashed cheap whiskey in my face. But on a serious note I would imagine hard liquor on gills would burn.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
"I read a funny thread about spritzing fish in the gills with hard liquor. ....someone mentioning it doesn't work as well on cobia; turns out they are mean drunks. Guy said the fish went ballistic. :D"

Probably using the cheap stuff, I'd get mad too if someone splashed cheap whiskey in my face. But on a serious note I would imagine hard liquor on gills would burn.
It's not raw exposed flesh; they flush saltwater through them all day. There is some kind of protective membrane. Supposedly it gets into their blood and affects the brain and nervous system almost instantly.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Hi Statefisher,

Is the medium size bag big enough or should I go bigger? I hope to have to put more than 1 in a bag :D
mine is the 65x20, can comfortably fit a couple 50lbers in there. bigger is always better since you never know cobe fishing what kind of behemoth you may hook in to!! my buddy that i dolphin and kingfish most often with has a couple on the boat at all times as well so i didnt need a real big one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.