NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick questions regarding setup for fishing for cobia. I have two rods with braid, either 40# or 50#. I'm guessing you need a leader regardless of whether its a bucktail or live/dead bait. Do you prefer mono or fluoro and what size test? Also about how long do you make yours and should I tie directly to braid or use a swivel? Preciate any advise

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I basically use a Carolina rig, 3 or 4oz Egg sinker on main line, bead on main line, swivel, 100lb mono leader, and I snell my hook usually. I like a 18-24 inch leader as I feel it lets the bait swim more but it also means they can wrap the line sometimes. I have yet to "catch" a cobia, but that's what I use. I've caught many chopper blues and sharks with that.

Reactions: rlwinfield

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Sundrop is right on. You can probably get away with using a lighter leader but 100 pounds is def adequate. I also use sinker sliders so I can easily swap weights should the situation call for it. That is if I am anchored up and fishing.

If you are casting to them or jigging, use your favorite braid to mono connection knot. 2 foot should be fine. I use fluoro but know some people that use mono. If a cobia is hungry and you put food in front of it, I don't think its going to matter a whole heck of a lot. I know a guy that cut a cobia up one time and it had a rabbit in it. They eat a lot of different things.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Cobia are sea catfish. They aren't finicky when they are hungry. If it fits in their mouth it goes in their belly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What kind of rod and reel combo are folks using? Finally got a boat large enough to allow to explore some of the larger saltwater fish and want to try for cobia Friday around Morehead/the Cape. I'm looking at fishing the bottom for them. Can I get by with a Battle II 4000? Suggestions on rod appreciated because I need to pick up a new one most likely.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
on a boat you have the luxury of being able to chase the fish. Have a floatation tied on your anchor rope so you can quickly "cut loose" and come back to your anchor or have someone who can quickly pull it up if you hook something with a lot of "run". can you do it? maybe, but you might end up with a trashed drag, stripped gears and hurt feelings, or you might have a good story to tell. Optimally you want a 6000 series or larger reel. Line capacity is a big issue too but cutting the boat loose quickly so you can chase and not get spooled helps. For a "cheap" rod an ugly stik tiger will get it done. Basically think big catfish gear but able to handle a hard run. Since you are just going to bottom fish and not cast jigs with it any old Penn bait caster on a stiff boat rod would do on the cheap as well. A Penn 113h combo with a slammer rod would do all kinds of drifting and bottom fishing $149 http://www.basspro.com/PENN-113H/114H-Senator-Reel/Slammer-Rod-Combo/product/89082/ or go old school super cheap and get a Penn 309 combo, tough as nails. $79 http://www.basspro.com/PENN309-Leve...o/product/1301041600/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Too light to be bottom fishing with. You may get by with sight casting in open water with that reel, but as sundrop said you will be bobbing and weaving around anchor lines if you are anchored and fishing for them at the cape.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
30 pound braid to 40 pound mono should suffice. Just remember to lower your rod when they surface during the fight. Lost a monster yesterday when I didn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.