NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know any tips or good spots in the Wrightsville area for catching cobia. I have a small boat, so I can't go out very far. I tried fishing at the channel marker off from the jetty, but I didn't too much. Then we went back inside the jetty and caught some nice sea bass, but anyways, if you have anything to offer I'ld love to hear it. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Cobia are tough to target as they move around often but they have very specific habits. They are curious and love structure. They also love things that float and often can be found with large sea turtles. Sometimes when you are anchored or drifting, they will come right up to the boat.

You are trying the right places, sea buoys, jetties, etc. Try some structures like the AR's as well. I like to anchor, chum, then fish at various depths in the water column with live bait. I always keep a rod ready with a lure on it for sight casting to them too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been out in that area a lot. Lots of sea bass and other pinfish, but nothing exciting. I went out a little further today to AR 370 its not far at all from the jetty 3.5nm. Head out to where all the boats are drifting, there should be a yellow buoy there. There where a few small carolina skiffs out there so on a calm day like today it shouldnt be a problem. Oh but make sure you have the safety gear or the coast guard might git ya, they got me.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
What lures would you recommend sight casting to a Cobia with Topsail? They like live crabs too. :)
They sure do like crabs and if you can keep one on the line you have a good chance of getting Mr. Cobia to bite. I will sometimes take a few with me but only deploy them when I have seen a cobia and know they are there - otherwise you can go through some crabs fast.

For sight casting my favorite lure is the original Snapper Slapper in the pink/chart. Sometimes I put a curly tail grub under the skirt too.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
AR 370 its not far at all from the jetty 3.5nm
That probably wouldnt be a bad place to start and it's close like taiyofish mentioned.
it's the Liberty ship and there's some sunken barges, concrete rubble/culverts and in that general area some sunken tugs as well...

I need to send #'s to some friends.. so when I do, I'll pull up and post #'s for the 370 area that I have.

Only thing,, is becarefull if you drop an anchor around there and that structure,, you more than likely wont get it back... most folks drift/troll that area. I've got 2 anchors on the box car there by the bouy to the SW :eek:

Cobia, Saltwater Ocean Fish Species

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The Liberty ship near Masonboro (there is one near Beaufort inlet too) is N34 10.520 W77 45.120. If you don't have a GPS it is still easy to find - head out of Masonboro Inlet on a course of 96 degrees (almost due east) - it is 2.5 miles from the Masonboro Sea Buoy and the vicinity is marked by a big yellow buoy (AR370).

Dave's right about anchors. However for cobia I've always had better luck right over the structure, so I anchor up and usually chum the bottom (not the surface). I use a grapple anchor or some folks call it a wreck anchor - it has hooks that bend under extreme pressure so they will give way when hooked on wreckage - also an anchor ball works wonders for freeing an anchor most of the time.

I've caught cobia drifting too, it's is a good technique. Never tried trolling for Cobia intentionally but I have had a few take my king baits as I was trolling so that should work too.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
For you folks up around the outer banks this next week- it is about time for the "big shove". Around memorial day week each year - the cobia migrate up the OBX coast in groups of 15-20 at a time. Group after group will pass. It only lasts for a few days to a week but is a great time to target them as they will be close to shore. Smaller groups/single fish are already there and others will remain through June but the big shove is special! Wish I could chase 'em up there this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.