NC Angler Forums banner

Cobia Watch 2012

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Rick Caton 
#1 ·
There's a report on NCWaterman of a cobia caught in Back Sound, near Shackleford. So maybe it's not too early start tracking these critters here on NCAngler. Anybody?

#8 ·
Sorry, but I cannot add any good news from down here in JAX, FL!!
Pro guides last weekend saw some scattered and small pogie (menhaden) pods/schools and only a few manta rays, but the rays had NO cobia on them....

Today in our JKF website, a powerboater posted this:
"Still the same on cobia went out of st augustine yesterday ran the beach all the way down to matanzas inlet didn't see a single one saw a few rays and pogie pods, in my boat of course.. Give it a few more weeks they will be here. Water temp was hanging around 69-71. Was a beautiful day seas less than a foot nice little breeze out of the SW"

Another guy answered:
"Nice report Yakam. Your right about the Cobia holding further south. They haven't left Matanzas yet."

This is not all Doom and Gloom since the water is still chilly down here.....
Several years, the pogie pods would stay further out in the ocean than our beaches since the water was warmer, and they would pass our beaches entirely since the coastline curves NW here in JAX. They would head north and come into the Broad River area of SC where they supposedly spawn. Hopefully, that will not happen again this year!!
Will keep you posted....JohnYaksJax

#9 ·
Just got home from my P/T job at an Outfitters down here, and saw this on our JaxKayakFishing site:
I know the guy and think the info is valid, and he lives SOUTH of Daytona at Port Orange, FL:

"My buddie is a captain in Vero Beach. His boat pulled in 9 cobia yesterday. He said they were all pilled up... Yes they are still down south, imagine they will moving north soon"

Guess we need to hang tight unless they decide to "bypass" JAX like I mentioned above.....JohnYaksJax

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.