NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone still catching, seeing cobia? I'm going down to the Morehead area this weekend hoping to find one. Hoping to find one to sight cast a fly to.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
There are still a few around, most being caught are on bait soaked on the bottom. The majority of the fish have already passed through, but there is usually a second wave that arrives around now. If it were me, I would focus my efforts east of CALO. Good luck

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
6 caught on bogue the last few days
several on mercers recently. Saw a picture of one caught out of NRI this morning. There are still some south of the morehead area so they should be coming through soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sight-fished Shackelford and soaked bait off CALO this past Friday and Saturday - got blanked. Sat. a.m. conditions looked perfect. Tons of boats anchored off CALO. Saw one landed at CALO - maybe 35 lbs. Saw a couple of hookup/losses - could have been sharks or rays.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
We went out yesterday to the Mariot reef and had about a 60 pounder get out run by our pinfish. Couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
been kind of a weird year. i'd say your chances on the fly aren't exactly stellar, the VAST majority of fish landed and reported this year have come off baits on the bottom, live blues have been a great choice this year since the bait balls aren't really doing their normal thing and the fish still have to eat something!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kind of figured this would be the case. This is the first chance I've had to get down this year. I'll look around the usual spots and see if I can spot anything..

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Sure has been a weird year.

The first Haden ball that came through seaview pier was the biggest I have ever seen. Talking like 500 feet square, probably 10+ feet thick. Not 1 fish larger than a bluefish in it as far as we could see. We've also had several cobia swim through the rigs without even a strike.

Fished a live crab on the bottom for 3 days all day long without anything. I don't have a clue what's up with the cobia.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Guess I should be thankful I got one...and I Am.

·
Registered
109 Posts
can't know unless you go

driver, you and troy must be working too hard. Every time I pass by your house on the w/e your boat is still in the driveway. ;) Heck go down and give it a try. Once they move out of the spawning areas they usually hit the wrecks and rocks close by. If nothing else is biting go out to the Sea Buoy and whip a Clouser to the 'cuda that hangs out there. Ought to be a pretty good fight! Should be plenty of Spanish and blues as well.

Have Will or Troy done any jigging yet? I have only had my lake boat in the water once this year but plan on taking the big boat back down to MHC in a couple weeks.

Let me know if you do any good,

JB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts