NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
army, Most Bass (depending Where You Are At ) Have Gone Deep. Deep Diving Crankbaits. Carolina Rigs Fished Deep, Slow Running Spinnerbait (small Size) In The Fall And Winter When The Water Cools Down Most Bass Go Deep, There Is The Exception When You Can Find High Rock Banks, Muddy Banks, These Area Tend To Warm Up First And Will Attract Bass, Im Sure There Are Other Out There With Better Advice, But Thats What I Have My Best Luck With This Time Of Year.......................chris

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Chuckle... seems like it took all of two weeks for 'em to "turn on" when the water turned cool, to "going deep" now that it's too cold... I gotta find a way to slow my Octobers down... I blinked and missed it...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Change happened fast this year for sure, but weather is still unsettled keeping water temps warmer in shallower areas... Approach seems to change from day to day....

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have done some ice fishing and when we were actually fishing, not using a Tip-Up, fish finder or underwater camera, we would use live bait and a Jig Pole and then simply jig at various depths. I know we don't freeze over here enough to Ice Fish, but if you are at a spot you may want to employ the same tactics and basically look for them at the lower depths. The colder it gets the lower they will go basically. We would use Fathead minnows and other live bait.

I love cold weather fishing myself. I spent most of my life in the Midweast and upper plains.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Live bait gives you the advantage of being able to let it "soak" in one area and tempt slow biters into chomping down, as well as allowing the bait to thoroughly work areas since in many cases the bait has to be in their face to provoke a strike..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Twilight,
I agree with everything above. It has really changed every day. One more suggestion- Rattle traps, Rattle Traps, Rattle Traps. My good buddy and I each caught a 7lb bass in 3 ft of water within 5 minutes of each other on Sunday in Raleigh on Rattle traps. He'll be posting the pics as soon as he is not too lazy to upload his pictures. I'm threatening to steal the camera. His was his first fish on a brand new setup. Pretty exciting.

I mostly fish a jig and pig (another good big fish bait) this time of year, but when all else fails I throw the noisiest thing in my box. I've caught fish on rattle traps when ice was covering half of my pond in Greensboro, and nothing else worked.

He was using a YoZuri Crystal Vibe in a bass color and I was using the classic Bill Lewis Rattle trap in blue and silver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.