NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Stripers of the New Year!

I've read my share of reports on here and have appreciated them...thanks guys! Made it a goal this year to report more as well as actively help out others who are learning and pay it all forward ...

So...Here is a fish report from me;

Fished the lower Roanoke yesterday for stripers and they were biting. We fished from Jamesville to the Cashie.

Amazingly cold start Saturday morning and trouble with the boat batteries but once on the water, things went pretty well. No trolling motor today so we worked the wind and the drift with some anchoring and did fine without it. Yeah...we really wanted to FISH!

Found the stripers early in the day in holes, creek mouths, and river bends 14-22 ft deep. Later in the day caught a few right off a sunny bank in about 6ft of water as I was jigging a bucktail out towards the boat. Keyed in on some small bait breaking and a cormorant working the same stretch of bank. There were also some small creeks coming in out of the swamp there.

Biting mostly on 1/2 oz jigs and grub/fluke combos in white, pink, and chartreuse. Very s-l-o-w presentation with a twitch and stall right off the bottom seemed to be the ticket.

Medium fast 7ft rods with 20lb braid worked well and the braid is great at sensing the bite and more importantly...the bottom. Mono on the same rods was not as good a ratio of hook ups/fish on but it certainly worked. I personally like the fast action rods with bucktails and jigs.

No action on a crankbait or deep spinner bait but we did see some topwater action, limited but there, so that might also work. Gonna lose a few with all the snags. I caught almost all my fish on a 1/2 oz jig.

All fish measured between 19-21" and were well fed and fighters. Lost a bigger one at the boat so there are a few mixed in.

Tight lines Y'all.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I love bucktails as a goto bait! I call them the "catchall" bait. I've caught pinfish catfish redfish trout croaker c-mullet flounder hogfish pigfish sheepshead ladyfish tarpon permit jacks cobia kings Spanish grouper trigger tile snapper (all types even red) BSB jolts porgy.............and I'm SURE there is something I'm forgetting.

I'm a bucktail fan!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
first stripers of the new year!

I've read my share of reports on here and have appreciated them...thanks guys! Made it a goal this year to report more as well as actively help out others who are learning and pay it all forward ...

So...here is a fish report from me;

fished the lower roanoke yesterday for stripers and they were biting. We fished from jamesville to the cashie.

Amazingly cold start saturday morning and trouble with the boat batteries but once on the water, things went pretty well. No trolling motor today so we worked the wind and the drift with some anchoring and did fine without it. Yeah...we really wanted to fish!

Found the stripers early in the day in holes, creek mouths, and river bends 14-22 ft deep. Later in the day caught a few right off a sunny bank in about 6ft of water as i was jigging a bucktail out towards the boat. Keyed in on some small bait breaking and a cormorant working the same stretch of bank. There were also some small creeks coming in out of the swamp there.

Biting mostly on 1/2 oz jigs and grub/fluke combos in white, pink, and chartreuse. Very s-l-o-w presentation with a twitch and stall right off the bottom seemed to be the ticket.

Medium fast 7ft rods with 20lb braid worked well and the braid is great at sensing the bite and more importantly...the bottom. Mono on the same rods was not as good a ratio of hook ups/fish on but it certainly worked. I personally like the fast action rods with bucktails and jigs.

No action on a crankbait or deep spinner bait but we did see some topwater action, limited but there, so that might also work. Gonna lose a few with all the snags. I caught almost all my fish on a 1/2 oz jig.

All fish measured between 19-21" and were well fed and fighters. Lost a bigger one at the boat so there are a few mixed in.

Tight lines y'all.
pics or it didn't happen !!!!lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.