NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 months of tying, I have truly found my new addiction and passion. I am actually looking forward to the freezing water so I can sit inside and tie flies all day. Sure I love fly fishing too, but there is something about teasing a fish to eat with something you created on your own. Here are some recent ties from the last month or so I have done. Most intersting of the bunch, my buddy wanted me to tie up an all SEC team line-up of deer hair divers for display in his man cave...Ive only gotten 4 done so far. I will post the whole group once I finish with that. I have also been experimenting with different materials, mostly trying to find cost saving techniques. See homemade mono shrimp/crab/craw eye balls. Those are fun and very cheap.

View attachment 67292 View attachment 67291 View attachment 67290 View attachment 67288 View attachment 67289 View attachment 67287 View attachment 67286 View attachment 67285 View attachment 67294 View attachment 67300 View attachment 67299 View attachment 67293 View attachment 67298 View attachment 67297 View attachment 67296 View attachment 67295

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm the same way. Some really nice stuff you have there (and great photography skills).
I've been meaning to experiment with those worm hooks for bend back-style flies. Looks like you beat me to it. :)
What did you use as a base for the schoolie fly?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks.

LOL @ the photography. I just use my iPhone and pose the flies on an 8.5 x 11 peice of computer paper on the back of my toilet (perfect lighting in the bathroom) haha

Anyway, the schoolie fly is a 3/0 Owner off-set worm hook. I found it laying on the floor in my shed...I guess it fell out of my bass wormin tackle box lol I have yet to fish it. I have done the old clear bowl water test, it looks so sick in the water.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the kind words. I really enjoy tying. Someone will need to remind me about this meet and greet, I dont even remember my parents birthdays or even how old I am....so yeah. Just PM me when its close and ill try to make it.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
If you keep an eye on the forum it will be mentioned regularly (25-30 pages at least) started around mid January and will take place in February. I have been able to make it twice now and I am looking forward to it this year.

Darrell

PS don't let Dennis over-modest personality fool you he is an excellent fly tyier as well.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Darrell I can't touch the fly tying that ECU Daniel is doing, but my flies do catch fish.

I am rotten at roll casting. Could be the flies I have tried it with are not aerodynamic enough. I've tried it with my top water foam bugs. I think I've also tried it with my Crappie Candy flies tied with size 8 hooks. Could be, if I tried it with a much smaller and lighter fly, I could do better. Also, I may not have given it a good chance yet. With the type fishing I do for the species I seek most, and with fishing mostly out of a boat, I don't have a lot of need for roll casting. I have seen a few times where it would come in handy. I have had very limited success roll casting so far.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Richard, I have a 4 wt 7 1/2 ft with Rio 4 wt line, a 6 wt 9 ft, with 6 wt Rio line, and a 7 wt 9 ft, with 7 wt Rio line. Most of my leaders are 9 ft. I could do much better roll casting with a shorter leader, but I think I've been hearing for stream trout a 9 ft leader is a must. A shorter leader should work with my bream fishing in the coastal plain. I will shorten those up to about 7 ft on my next trip. I don't have many occasions around my area for the need to roll cast, even though I've seen certain instances where it would help. One thing I need to do is to get in my practice roll casting at home with no fly on. I can roll cast a little, but don't have much control over it.

Technique can be the key...but so can rod.....and line and line wt ...and leader length and tippet size....all can be factors. What line and line wt are you using?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Sounds like some good setups. Some thing that I typically see with folks on the water: the bigger the fly, the heavier the line needs to be; if using sinking flies...don't let them sink after you begin your roll cast and have the line and fly sliding back to you; make sure the rod comes up and the loop of line swings behind your shoulder before accelerating on the forward cast; Lefty likes to stretch the rod behind him; make that forward cast with enough power...I compare it to driving a nail in the wall all the way to the head with one hammer blow; your stop on the forward cast should be "out" over the water in most cases, rather than "down" to the water...so the line unrolls out in front of you rather than landing in a pile on the water; bigger flies reguire heavier tippet to unroll them; some rod that have a little more flex often roll cast better; and some lines excel at roll casting e.g. the Royal Wulff Triangle Tapers. Just for the heck of it, try your 7 wt line on your 6 wt rod. Also, often longer lengths of line improve the ability to make a roll cast. I often see folks try a roll cast with too short a line, cause they think shortening it will make it easier. Often the reverse is true. Longer lengths of line can generate more energy to unroll and drag the fly thru the air.

I sell a lot more 7.5 foot leaders for trout. If the water is crystal clear and low...then a longer leader or smaller tippet might be called for...maybe. Bass flies may require 8-12 lb tippet to unroll a bigger fly. Some leaders with a little thicker butt section help the unrolling...

There several good videos on roll casting. I guess I am partial to Lefty Kreh's teaching...especially his basic principles of casting.

Time to load the trailer for the Asheville show...where is my Advil....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.